• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonderingincolo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADO

I am a male victim and the primary wage earner. My lawyer tells me that my evidence in the DV case could very well lead to her not being able to be employed in the school system.

Do I have any 5th amendment rights since my testimony will harm me in the settlement of the divorce? It makes no sense that the courts can essentially force me to remain a victim for several years when the DV case is minor to begin with.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am a male victim and the primary wage earner. My lawyer tells me that my evidence in the DV case could very well lead to her not being able to be employed in the school system.

Do I have any 5th amendment rights since my testimony will harm me in the settlement of the divorce? It makes no sense that the courts can essentially force me to remain a victim for several years when the DV case is minor to begin with.
No you have no fifth amendment rights when it comes to testifying against her. Why do you believe you will remain a victim for many years? Because she would be unemployed and you would have to pay alimony? Ummm, wrong. She should be IMPUTED with the income she could make if she were not violent.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Who called the cops?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">