• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV - PreTrial, what next?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpunkyOne

What is the name of your state? AZ

My case has to be the stupidest DV (Disorderly Conduct) case, but I need to know what to expect when I meet with the prosecutor.

My fiance of several years and I had an argument that ensued after he rattled off every nasty name he could call me during our disagreement. The argument escalated and I ended up with a couple of bruises and a cut on my arm and he with a few scratches on his face. I didn't call the police knowing that if they were called, we'd both end up arrested due to both of us having marks from the other on our bodies. Unfortunately, my fiance (200 lbs 5' 9") thought he'd play the "victim" this time and call the police. He told me he wanted to teach me a lesson. Well, unfortunately for him, he was arrested.....and so was I.

We spent the night in jail and went before a very sympathetic judge who requested expungement and permitted both of us to return to the home we shared. He had asked which one of us was prepared to leave the residence but we agreed we would be fine in the same house and promised not to fight any more. The judge did advise my fiance that he had no problem telling him to leave the home and that for him to state he was defending himself from me (5' 3" 115 lbs) was weak. In the end we were set free and weren't required to post any bond but a PreTrial court date was set to meet with the prosecutor.

Do we need a lawyer for this? We're not filing charges against each other, calling this a lesson learned the hard way. (Believe me... I NEVER want to visit Sheriff Joe's jail EVER again!) Will there be any leniency since we're in couples counseling and this is my first offense? What can we expect from the prosecutor? Hopefully, he or she will be like the judge and just tell us he doesn't want to see us back in his court for fighting ever again and let us go. If it could only be so easy...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">