• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DV Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmcarrillo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was charged with Domestics Violence/Disorderly Conduct this past weekend. Basically what happened is my mother died and I have been greiving well suffice to say I came home drunk and started arguing with my wife and the kids got scared the police were called and they charged me with these charges. I have just finished my degree and cannot have this on my record what can I do if anything at all? I am hoping the courts will allow a diversion program and after completed will dismiss all charges. I have no prior DV or Disorderly conduct charges in my history. Someone please give me some hope?

Antigone*

I was charged with Domestics Violence/Disorderly Conduct this past weekend. Basically what happened is my mother died and I have been greiving well suffice to say I came home drunk and started arguing with my wife and the kids got scared the police were called and they charged me with these charges. I have just finished my degree and cannot have this on my record what can I do if anything at all? I am hoping the courts will allow a diversion program and after completed will dismiss all charges. I have no prior DV or Disorderly conduct charges in my history. Someone please give me some hope?
I suggest you get representation.

cmcarrillo

Great, Thank you. I am looking to do that now but there goes the money factor it is hard we are just making it as a family so I am not sure how to secure representation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

A piece of the story is missing. Are you saying you got charged with DV because of an argument (ie: yelling)?

cmcarrillo

Yes and becuase my kids were afraid. I am deeply ashamed of this and have never nor will this ever happen again, I value my children and my wife. It was just a bad night no excuses and alcohol did not help!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes and becuase my kids were afraid. I am deeply ashamed of this and have never nor will this ever happen again, I value my children and my wife. It was just a bad night no excuses and alcohol did not help!
I do not believe you were arrested for DV based on an argument with no physical contact.

Good luck - get an attorney.

cmcarrillo

There was no physical contact. What they said was becuase of threats made while i was drunk is why I goot arrested. I am a good person this was a bad thing yes but I would never harm my children or my wife.

mistoffolees

There was no physical contact. What they said was becuase of threats made while i was drunk is why I goot arrested. I am a good person this was a bad thing yes but I would never harm my children or my wife.
Well, you already got the best advice. Find the money to get an attorney. You may have to borrow it or find a second job, but if you want any chance of ever getting your problems straightened out, you need help.

cmcarrillo

Great will do, I just talked to my wife and they told her when they were arresting me that I would more than likley be offered to participate in a diversion program and all chargers would be dismissed. Man I hope that is the case since I have no record, So by all and thanks for the advice.

seniorjudge

Obviously, you need to start participating actively (i.e., get a sponsor) in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">