• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Emotional Abuse on Teenage Girl

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaringFriend

I'm in Tampa, Florida.
I know this is long, but I am really seeking advice. My friend is getting emotionally abused and has been for 2 years or so. It's almost impossible to list all of the things that happen to her but I'll try my best to list the harshest, most recent experiences. Her step dad has hit her in the past, but doesn't anymore... however, he yells at her everyday for nothing (I'm not sure if that'd be emotional abuse), but she's not allowed to have friends, in fact I tried calling her and he was like "HELLO?" I said, knowing she's not allowed to have friends "uhm, sorry wrong number.." and he replied, "NO I HAVE YOUR NUMBER, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.. I TAKE YOU FROM YOUR HOME". Then walked in her room and said, "I KNOW YOU HAVE FRIENDS" and locked her in the room for the night. It could have been anyone that called. Her mom lets her have me as a friend, but only me and lets me see her sometimes, but is also extremely abusive. She drinks every night, strong liquor mind you, and calls her ugly and tells her that she needs to wear make up and so forth... so she'll wear make up and then her step dad will grab her and brush it off her face, forcefully, and ground her for wearing make up. It's ridiculous that she's treated like a dog, almost being 14. Even at school once, she was sitting with a group of friends and her step dad came to pick her up early and looked at the boys and girls she was sitting with and said "Don't talk to her, ever!" And then withdrew her from school, and put her in virtual school. Now they don't let her do her virtual school because she "might be talking to friends online". Her Grandmother is part of Department of Children and Families but seems to be scared to face the truth and doesn't want to take her daughter from her home, but her Grandmother treats her great... and her step-dad doesn't even let her go over there sometimes, or even go places with her grandmother.. so they have to lie about where she is and such. Is there anything illegal about this?

Proserpina

I'm in Tampa, Florida.
I know this is long, but I am really seeking advice. My friend is getting emotionally abused and has been for 2 years or so. It's almost impossible to list all of the things that happen to her but I'll try my best to list the harshest, most recent experiences. Her step dad has hit her in the past, but doesn't anymore...
Was this reported to CPS and/or the police? If not, why?

however, he yells at her everyday for nothing (I'm not sure if that'd be emotional abuse), but she's not allowed to have friends, in fact I tried calling her and he was like "HELLO?" I said, knowing she's not allowed to have friends "uhm, sorry wrong number.." and he replied, "NO I HAVE YOUR NUMBER, I KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE.. I TAKE YOU FROM YOUR HOME". Then walked in her room and said, "I KNOW YOU HAVE FRIENDS" and locked her in the room for the night. It could have been anyone that called. Her mom lets her have me as a friend, but only me and lets me see her sometimes, but is also extremely abusive. She drinks every night, strong liquor mind you, and calls her ugly and tells her that she needs to wear make up and so forth... so she'll wear make up and then her step dad will grab her and brush it off her face, forcefully, and ground her for wearing make up. It's ridiculous that she's treated like a dog, almost being 14. Even at school once, she was sitting with a group of friends and her step dad came to pick her up early and looked at the boys and girls she was sitting with and said "Don't talk to her, ever!" And then withdrew her from school, and put her in virtual school. Now they don't let her do her virtual school because she "might be talking to friends online". Her Grandmother is part of Department of Children and Families but seems to be scared to face the truth and doesn't want to take her daughter from her home, but her Grandmother treats her great... and her step-dad doesn't even let her go over there sometimes, or even go places with her grandmother.. so they have to lie about where she is and such. Is there anything illegal about this?
Has your friend ever sought help? Are you living there with her? If you aren't, how do you know these things are happening? What have you witnessed in person?

What is your interest in this 13 year old?

LdiJ

If the child is not attending any school at all (regular or virtual) then someone needs to be making a report to CPS.

Hot Topic

You can't possibly know that your friend is being truthful about everything she says has happened to her unless you've been with her 24 hours a day seeing it and/or hearing it for yourself.

The part about the grandmother doesn't ring true.

I suspect there's a teenager rebelling against a strict parent and blowing up his "trespasses" for the eager ears of a member of her peer group from whom she seeks sympathy and attention.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">