• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Evading a Subpoena from Police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tiffrowe28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
The police have tried to serve me a subpoena to testify in grand jury against my boyfriend. I do not want to testify. We have reconciled since. They have also called my phone many times and I answered an unknown number once. It was an officer telling me to come to the station and pick up my court subpoena and if I don't I will have a warrant issued for evading police. Is this possible for me to be arrested even if I am not served with the documents.???

latigo

The police have tried to serve me a subpoena to testify in grand jury against my boyfriend. I do not want to testify. We have reconciled since. They have also called my phone many times and I answered an unknown number once. It was an officer telling me to come to the station and pick up my court subpoena and if I don't I will have a warrant issued for evading police. Is this possible for me to be arrested even if I am not served with the documents.???
Yes, warrants can be issued for the arrest of a material witness in a pending criminal case.

See: New York Laws Criminal Procedure (CPL) Article 620

Eekamouse

And won't this be lovely for you the next time your boyfriend gets mad at you.

latigo

And won't this be lovely for you the next time your boyfriend gets mad at you.
Right!

The next time he uses her for a piñata (sooner than later as statistics tell us and she refuses to believe) she just might not be in a condition to call for help. She could be dead!

Isn't it nice though that he has conveniently agreed to a reconciliation? Do you suppose his facing a felony verdict and imprisonment might have been an influence? Grand juries don't convene to listen to evidence of minor DVs.

Hopefully the state has enough physical evidence for a conviction with or without her cooperation. Stupid woman.

Eekamouse

Awww, but she was just super upset at the time she called the cops on him and she didn't know he'd get in so much trouble and he didn't really, really hit her, he just shoved/accidentally slapped/pushed/scared her. She and him are in luuurrrrvvvveee and this is going to cause all kinds of problems for him so she wants to take it all back yadda yadda yadda. Le sigh.

Proserpina

OP, please go here:

http://www.aardvarc.org/

and here, if it's helpful:

https://www.rainn.org/

Every poster on this thread is telling you the same thing and they're right. This won't stop - it's going to continue, and it will end in one of two ways. I'm pretty sure I don't have to spell them out for you, and avoiding a subpoena and having a warrant issued are the least of your problems.

Please, get the help you need.... not the help you think you want.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Been there done that Tiffrowe28: Get your ass to a shelter or therapist now...before your next of kin takes you to a funeral home.

Don't wait..Just get out. He MUST deal with what HE DID. LEGALLY AND MORALLY. That is NOT on YOU.

Best of Luck to you Sweetie...Hope you find joy and peace soon.

Blue:):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">