• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex is fighting ppo

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drgnfly0330

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
We've been divorced since 2005,had a PPO on him until 2006. For the last year I've been in a wonderful relationship....recently we moved into together and plan to marry. In the last year my ex has become increasingly difficult to deal with, he started by withholding my children. Escalated to following me, then verbal abuse during children exchange, I made a police report at this time because he ran out of his house at me while I was waiting for the kids in my car. He has an attourney and has had my twelve year old interviewed as to what happened.
We're going to court in two weeks and I have no clue as to what I'm allowed in my defense?

CdwJava

What kind of defense do you need? Are you being accused of some crime? Some act of malfeasance?

If this is over custody and visitation, then hiring an attorney might be of some benefit. If you are seeking a new protective order, then consulting an attorney might also be of some benefit - especially if HE has one.

Drgnfly0330

I'm accused**************

He says I'm lying, of course, but that I regularly lie to law enforcement. In the last month I had to file a report when he didn't bring me the girls for my parenting time, he had taken them out of the state, had them for a week without consulting me at all. Then my fiance encouraged me to file a report (via phone) and then file for the ppo. My fiance is an ex-marine and doesnt want trouble (he was with me during the incident). The ppo makes so the exchange of the children is at a police station located equa-distance between our homes. My daughter did say "Don't worry mom, I told the truth. They wouldn't let dad in the room during the interview."
In the rebuttle he says he has proof I'm a liar, not sure what that means. Am I allowed to show I've had a ppo before and bring in character statements?

Proserpina

He says I'm lying, of course, but that I regularly lie to law enforcement. In the last month I had to file a report when he didn't bring me the girls for my parenting time, he had taken them out of the state, had them for a week without consulting me at all.

Does your court order actually say that you must be consulted about out-of-state trips?

Then my fiance encouraged me to file a report (via phone) and then file for the ppo.

Not sure that's actually going to accomplish what you wish it to accomplish.

My fiance is an ex-marine and doesnt want trouble (he was with me during the incident). The ppo makes so the exchange of the children is at a police station located equa-distance between our homes. My daughter did say "Don't worry mom, I told the truth. They wouldn't let dad in the room during the interview."
In the rebuttle he says he has proof I'm a liar, not sure what that means. Am I allowed to show I've had a ppo before and bring in character statements?

Character statements generally won't make any difference at all.

There is another option that you might wish to consider. Instead of a PPO, simply go back to court and have your current visitation order modified to reflect the exchange is to be at the police station.

I'm just not seeing why a PPO is necessary, in all honesty.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What are you actually being accused of? And if HE's accusing YOU, why is he fighting the PPO? It really isn't clear what your situation is.

Hot Topic

Your fiancee should butt out. He, as the saying goes, "has no dog in the fight."

The fact that he's an ex-Marine is irrelevant.

TinkerBelleLuvr

He says I'm lying, of course, but that I regularly lie to law enforcement. In the last month I had to file a report when he didn't bring me the girls for my parenting time, he had taken them out of the state, had them for a week without consulting me at all. Then my fiance encouraged me to file a report (via phone) and then file for the ppo. My fiance is an ex-marine and doesnt want trouble (he was with me during the incident). The ppo makes so the exchange of the children is at a police station located equa-distance between our homes. My daughter did say "Don't worry mom, I told the truth. They wouldn't let dad in the room during the interview."
According to the FOC handbook, you are supposed to notify the other parent if they will be out of state for more than 24 hours.

And what I'm getting is that the other parent was on vacation on the OP's time.

Did you write to FOC for your denied parenting time and have a request for makeup time?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">