• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex Roommate filed Bogus Order of Protection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

student12345

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

My exroommate was beat up one night last week on his way home from the bars. Signed witness statements that I have obtained said he was severely intoxicated. He filed an order of protection against me in civil court. but I didn't do it! and I have phone records, written statements from managers, doormen, and bouncers, and food receipts that all show where I was that night. The cops checked my hands and saw they were clean. I am not being charged criminally. Now I can't go to class, and I may lose my assistant-ship with the college where we attend. My character is trashed. I've been told people are afraid to work with me because of his claims. I have never been violent, but everyone assumes I did it.

My questions are 1: does he even have a right to file this? Everything I read about this process and Illinois law is about domestic violence between men and women in a relationship. and 2: I want to fight this. I want my reputation back. When this is all said and done can I get a public apology? 3: can I bring up his past to show he has a history of not being able to drink responsibly and gets in trouble for it?(DUI/breaking and entering into a house he thought was a friend's bc he was so drunk)

I filed a motion for a rehearing since i wasn't present at the original emergency order of protection hearing. It is on Monday. Do I just present my evidence??

and I'm poor. I don't have much money for counsel. Is there any chance I can get money from him since he filed bogus papers based off of his own severely intoxicated memory?

More Background:
I (am a guy) who lived with the petitioner (another guy) from Jan 09 - May 09. We lived in a duplex. He was upstairs, I was downstairs. He saw me yell at another roommate one time. which he noted in his statement. He claims I tried to strangle the other roommate and I said I was going to kill him. I have 5 witnesses that were there that night that can discount that. Then he said in a statement that I maliciously tried to edge him out of a school project, and he told a professor he wanted to stop working on it because he feared I'd be violent. Over a school project? I don't think so. We still sat next to eachother in class. We acted friendly toward eachother until I was served with papers. No one on campus has ever seen me even raise my voice other than what was mentioned above. I was under no impression that he was afraid of me. He said I beat him up. WHich I have absolute proof that I did not. He left the bar he was at after he went behind the bar, broke two tappers, and tried to tap his own keg. He went back the next day to pay for the damages and he is no longer allowed in that bar. I don't want to go by him anyways, but I need this cleared up; I need my reputation back! I need to go to class! I have worked so hard and it was destroyed so easily by a lie.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">