• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex says I am stealing his stuff & defaming me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RoseinCA

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Survivor of domestic violence, out for 7 months. He's continued to harass me online. I notice now he's saying on social media that I am keeping his stuff.

When he was released from jail, he came to the home we once shared along with a police officer and grabbed as much as he could. Obviously, there's a lot left behind.

His friend contacted me 6 months ago via Facebook asking to come by to get ex's stuff. I said, sure, bring a police officer. Friend violated protective order again by emailing (contact via 3rd party) saying I can leave the stuff on the street, which I refuse to do w/o a police officer present (because they can claim they didn't get whatever I put on the curb).

I Googled, and there is a form in another part of the state where one can file to get a one time reprieve from the order to obtain their belongings in the presence of an officer. One of his abusive and fake social media accounts indicates he believes he can't meet the police at my house since I "have a restraining order on him" (it's actually not me, but the state, but, whatever).

I am not about to reach out to the fake account under any circumstances to explain or educate them (him) on anything, since, after all, according to this fake Twitter account, I'm a dumb "b" (which I am far from). I'm not here to help him in any way.

Any advice on someone claiming their stuff is being held hostage when really, I would be foolish to meet with any of his friends alone!? Never! Nor is it my job to contact the police to make arrangements! Right?! At what point is this abandoned property?

We were never married (thank goodness!).

Part 2: He's defamed me by plastering my photo on his Twitter and falsely accusing me of stalking him. To the contrary, I dread ever running into him, and am glad it hasn't happened. I reported it to Twitter. How unlawful are his actions?

He also owes me restitution money to the tune of $1165, and has been stalling, even stating on Facebook he won't let me "extort another thin dime" out of him. I honestly don't think he knows the definition of extortion, clearly! The next hearing is in January. I am tired of the delay tactics.

Looking forward to some advice. Very grateful. Thank you!

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

Survivor of domestic violence, out for 7 months. He's continued to harass me online. I notice now he's saying on social media that I am keeping his stuff.

When he was released from jail, he came to the home we once shared along with a police office and grabbed as much as he could. Obviously, there's a lot left behind.

His friend contacted me 6 months ago via Facebook asking to come by to get ex's stuff. I said, sure, bring a police officer. Friend violated protective order again by emailing (contact via 3rd party) saying I can leave the stuff on the street, which I refuse to do w/o a police officer present (because they can claim they didn't get whatever I put on the curb).

I Googled, and there is a form in another part of the state where one can file to get a one time reprieve from the order to obtain their belongings in the presence of an officer. One of his abusive and fake social media accounts indicates he believes he can't meet the police at my house since I "have a restraining order on him" (it's actually not me, but the state, but, whatever).

I am not about to reach out to the fake account under any circumstances to explain or educate them (him) on anything, since, after all, according to this fake Twitter account, I'm a dumb "b" (which I am far from). I'm not here to help him in any way.

Any advice on someone claiming their stuff is being held hostage when really, I would be foolish to meet with any of his friends alone!? Never! Nor is it my job to contact the police to make arrangements! Right?! At what point is this abandoned property?

We were never married (thank goodness!).

Part 2: He's defamed me by plastering my photo on his Twitter and falsely accusing me of stalking him. To the contrary, I dread ever running into him, and am glad it hasn't happened. I reported it to Twitter. How unlawful are his actions?

He also owes me restitution money to the tune of $1165, and has been stalling, even stating on Facebook he won't let me "extort another thin dime" out of him. I honestly don't think he knows the definition of extortion, clearly! The next hearing is in January. I am tired of the delay tactics.

Looking forward to some advice. Very grateful. Thank you!
Him bad mouthing you on the internet might be a violation of the restraining order. You might discuss that with the police and see what they think about it.

RoseinCA

Him bad mouthing you on the internet might be a violation of the restraining order. You might discuss that with the police and see what they think about it.
Will do. Good idea. I will print out his Tweet of my image and stop by the station this evening, see what they think.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">