+ Reply to Thread
    punkwood2k is offline Junior Member

Ex-Wife's boyfriend spanking my son?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

To sum it up, my ex-wife's live-in boyfriend has been spanking my 5 year old son. My son behaves excellently in my house.. I have never spanked him or even considered it. He just has not done anything worth a spanking in my eyes.. But I just found out his pseudo-stepdad has been spanking him repeatedly for lengthy amounts of time. My son has not had any visible marks, but he told me that Jake (mom's boyfriend) spanks him all the time, and spanks him HARD (my son emphasized that word), until he cries..

What can I do to stop this? What can I charge the boyfriend with?
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkwood2k View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

What can I do to stop this? What can I charge the boyfriend with?
    You can stop this by calling CPS if you feel he is being abused,

unless you are the DA you cannot charge him with anything.

You can go to court, and have custody modified to include, no corporal punishment.

you need proof in order to make any kind of real difference here.

ps kids do lie.
    punkwood2k is offline Junior Member
    I guess my main question is whether or not I have the authority to ban someone from spanking my child. It seems to me that ANY non-family member shouldnt be allowed to spank my son.. Am I wrong?
    As so far as "proof", how would I get that, without a hidden camera? And yes, kids do lie, but my 5 year old crying about being spanked after he refused to tell me.... thats not a lie.
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punkwood2k View Post
    I guess my main question is whether or not I have the authority to ban someone from spanking my child. It seems to me that ANY non-family member shouldnt be allowed to spank my son.. Am I wrong?
    As so far as "proof", how would I get that, without a hidden camera? And yes, kids do lie, but my 5 year old crying about being spanked after he refused to tell me.... thats not a lie.
    Have you talked to his mom?
    Antigone* is offline Senior Member
    In honor of JetX ~ Somnambulist University
    I would start by making it very clear to my ex that if this legal stranger ever touched your child again, you'd haul her backside into court in a heartbeat and you'd see to it that jerk would not be allowed anywhere near your son.

A real threat may be enough to set the expectation. If your son tells you that this legal stranger spanked him then you need to follow through. If you don't they will both know you are full of hot air.
    CdwJava is offline Senior Member
    If you are concerned about the boyfriend disciplining your son, then you can go back to the court and get it written in the custody and visitation order that no one but you and the child's mother are able to utilize corporal punishment.

You can also call CPS if you feel that the punishment crosses the line to abuse, but it is unlikely that will result in anything if he is not injured and if the punishment were ostensibly for cause.
    A Nor Cal Cop Sergeant

"Make mine a double mocha ...
    And a croissant!"

Seek justice,
    Love mercy,
    Walk humbly with your God

-- Courageous, by Casting Crowns ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkM-gDcmJeM