• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Allegations of Abuse by "roommate"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lifeisgoodtome

What is the name of your state North Carolina.

This is a long and tedious story. I will summarize as I find myself looking at a conundrum.

My former best friend, who happens to be on my mortgage, has become increasingly aggressive, verbally abusive ect. She has ruined my credit by filing bankruptcy and not disclosing the fact that my mortgage was included and my credit was/affected. She refuses to cooperate with selling the house and has made my "home" (now just a residence because of the chaos she has created). On top of this I found a bag of "trash" that she threw out from her car that had months of MY bank statements, credit card statements, IRA statements ect. After this I started recording every conversation and putting other communication into writing.

I discovered back in Jan 2010 she was slandering my name to hourly employees at her job. (she is a wal-mart store manager) . I confronted her about this and laughingly she admitted it, very proud of herself for doing so. She accused me of vandalizing (keying) her car. I park in the same driveway, I am not a juvenile ignoramus that would do such a petty thing, especially since she has every opportunity to trash my car.
When I asked her if she knew what the legal defamation of slander was in the state of NC, her "pride" soon dissipated and she became enraged. She knew she had just admitted to a crime, opened the door for civil litigation and committed an act that could get her fired from her $150K job.
I have never threatened her with the evidence that I have against her, just wanted to know why she felt entitled to defame me. I am pursuing a career in medicine, such false allegations are detrimental to my reputation.
Since then she has been UNREAL. She gets in my face and screams at me, throws things, sabotages my life in every way. I have always remained calm and removed myself from the situations. Most of the time I do not speak to her. She refuses to respond to emails, letters ect.
On 5/5 I let her know early in a.m. via text that I had an VERY important final the next day and that it was imperative that I have a quiet study environment. She decided at 3 p.m. to have the AC dude come out. It would be over an hour before he got to the house and didn't know how long he would be there.
Long and short of story is I told her I thought she was selfish and inconsiderate, considering that she knew I would be done with school the next day and have 2 weeks between semesters. She went off the chain.
While on the phone with a friend from SD, "the plaintiff" began screaming in the hallway of the second floor, F U F U your F'ing crazy I f'ing hate you. My friend could hear her on the phone with door closed.
I went to hall to tell "the Plaintiff" to stop, I had to study, ect... stop disrespecting me ect. I turned to leave and when I was trying to shut my b-room door she charged me and tried to kick in the door. I put my arm out to stop her from charging me and she went backwards do to the velocity she was coming at me with and the fact that she had one foot elevated to kick my door, she tripped over a tote in the hall (I am steadily packing my things) and fell back against the wall. (friend on phone has heard the entire exchange)
I hang up with friend grab digital recorder and confront "the Plaintiff" she admits that she "tried to put her foot in my door" but didn't charge me, and good luck getting into med school with a criminal record. She screamed that she could scream **** you in my face all she wants.
I had back surgery one year ago and the force of her running into my arm totally jacked up my back. I try to study, go in and take my final (physics) and because of the chaos my 4.0 is now a 3.80 because my final brought down my A in that class.
I call the authorities after class to ask what my options are, deputy tells me file a restraining order. My moral and ethical compassionate self does not want to put "the plaintiff" in a position that could jeopardize her job/future.
I go home call attorneys get a call from deputy, she has papers to deliver. I am served with an restraining order complete with ex pa-rte order. I have court.
The "plaintiff" lied on the entire thing. Though I know that I have HOURS of digital recordings and have spent the better part of the last 4 days getting my evidence in order, I can not stand that fact that I now have to defend myself against false allegations of violent behavior.
She also lied and said that I have threatened her job "with what evidence she does not know".
Until I filed my own restraining order, she did not know that I have digital recordings of all of our conversations.
Though I know I have evidential proof that I am innocent, I am in school looking to apply to med school. This is the kind of crap that could kill my opportunities. She seems to be willing to go to any length to ruin my name.
I can't get an attorney to give me any answers on what my rights are.. I have talked with 4 or 5 of them... I'm a grown 30+ year old woman, this is not where I saw my life or what I expected from a "friend". Man o' Living. I am positive, progressive and look for the good in everything.... this however takes the cake...
Any advice or suggestions? I am very good at keeping logic and emotion separate, just looking for guidance from someone who may have had to defend themselves as well.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Bruno

Walmart Manager Getting $150K in NC?

I find it hard to believe a Walmart manager job pays $150K in North Carolina... Off the top of my head, she would be lucky if a Walmart manager gets even $50K in NC. :D

Lifeisgoodtome

This is off of the subject.. but base pay for non metro store manager @ wal-mart is 90K. Bonus is based on budget and profit. Her bonus was 65K.

My question/request is, what are my rights? I am in the home, she can not come here w/o a deputy. I have to sell this house and be done. One atty said I can force her into a quit claim deed. One said no I can not. One said I can sue for breech of contract. One said I have a huge civil case against her especially if I have documented proof that refutes the accusations on the OofP.
I have NO desire for her to return to my home but she is on the mtg. I know that ultimately it is up to the judge, but do I have to let her back in? I was denied my ex-par te b/c the judge saw it as retaliation even though I was the one attacked. Do I have rights to extend my OofP for 100 days or it is only her because she was granted the ex-par te?

Hot Topic

The part of your post that I was struck by was your statement that, "My moral and ethical compassionate self does not want to put the plaintiff in a position that could jeopardize her job/future," when the deputy suggested you obtain a restraining order. I certainly wouldn't be so saintly if someone had ruined my credit and slandered me.

It seems to me that you have been passive/aggressive about the entire situation. You told her that you had a final coming up and needed a quiet environment to prepare yourself, yet you had to know she wasn't going to comply. You then confronted her about how selfish and inconsiderate she had been, though you also say that you've always been calm and removed yourself from situations.

You told her to stop disrespecting you. What about her continuing conduct made you think when you went into the hall that she would listen to you?

When you answer Ohiogal's question, that could be the key to your situation with the house.

Silverplum

The part of your post that I was struck by was your statement that, "My moral and ethical compassionate self does not want to put the plaintiff in a position that could jeopardize her job/future," when the deputy suggested you obtain a restraining order. I certainly wouldn't be so saintly if someone had ruined my credit and slandered me.

It seems to me that you have been passive/aggressive about the entire situation. You told her that you had a final coming up and needed a quiet environment to prepare yourself, yet you had to know she wasn't going to comply. You then confronted her about how selfish and inconsiderate she had been, though you also say that you've always been calm and removed yourself from situations.

You told her to stop disrespecting you. What about her continuing conduct made you think when you went into the hall that she would listen to you?
Besides what you just wrote, what struck me was OP's completely scary usage of the big grin: :D

Never appropriate for this forum.

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

I find it hard to believe a Walmart manager job pays $150K in North Carolina... Off the top of my head, she would be lucky if a Walmart manager gets even $50K in NC. :D
This is off of the subject.. but base pay for non metro store manager @ wal-mart is 90K. Bonus is based on budget and profit. Her bonus was 65K.

My question/request is, what are my rights? I am in the home, she can not come here w/o a deputy. I have to sell this house and be done. One atty said I can force her into a quit claim deed. One said no I can not. One said I can sue for breech of contract. One said I have a huge civil case against her especially if I have documented proof that refutes the accusations on the OofP.
I have NO desire for her to return to my home but she is on the mtg. I know that ultimately it is up to the judge, but do I have to let her back in? I was denied my ex-par te b/c the judge saw it as retaliation even though I was the one attacked. Do I have rights to extend my OofP for 100 days or it is only her because she was granted the ex-par te?
Gawd... I am in the WRONG business!

Bruno

$150K Walmart Manager Salary in NC

So this must be a Walmart Superstore, and she must be a super-manager managing the whole store. :D

Any suggestions or advice: Do not use "always" or "never" unless they are absolutely, positively true without exception.

"I have always remained calm and removed myself from the situations."

Except the times you didn't.

Which leads me to find a whole lot of things troubling.

First, going back to Jan. 2010, "She gets in my face and screams at me, throws things, sabotages my life in every way." Yet you make no mention of police reports, or reporting of the incidents to any authority. Why?

Next, on the day of the incident you send a text stating you need quiet to study for a final. Understandable. She has the A/C man scheduled to come late in the afternoon. Did she receive or acknowledge the text? Personally, I find it troublesome that a repairman is going to be that much of an interruption, but, assuming it is, I still don't get past that you interrupt your study time to tell her how selfish and inconsiderate she is (when you've always walked away), and whatever argument you had to know would begin, AND have time to talk on the telephone to a friend yet she's to blame for your lack of study time. It makes no sense for a test so important you wouldn't leave to study and deal with her later.

Then, you put your arm out, she hits it hard enough to knock her backward and hard enough to give you back trouble, but you're shutting the door at the same time.

Lastly, it's also odd that she trips over a tote of your stuff in the hall when with as you've described I can't imagine why you would leave your belongings (that you plan to remove from the home) in the common hallway.

Last edited:

Bruno

My Advice to LifeIsGoodToMe

Send this information to Walmart HQ since a store manager of such traits is apparently detrimental to the business. :D

Hot Topic

How does someone "happen" to be on a mortgage?

Why did the OP get into the bag of trash that she "found" in the former best friend's car?

Wondering why the police weren't called? Remember that the OP called herself morally and ethically compassionate and stated that she didn't want to ruin the former best friend's job/future.

Good catch, Silverplum. If you're beside yourself over having your credit ruined, name slandered and various other indignities, you don't use that particular smili. What in the world would you have to smile about?

Some people enjoy being victims. In their minds, it puts them above the rest of us that they are "forced" to endure all kinds of mistreatment.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">