• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False child abuse/ neglect allegations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TB15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

Received a letter in the mail frm the state department saying "i am entitled to notications of finding related to you after completion of a child abuse/neglect investigations:kids names.

Threat of harm/no finding-unable to locate

Dont know who for sure made the false allegation. But im assuming it probably has something to do with a family memebers child custody fight. We share the same roof. Assuming one of the other is probably trying to look for something to accuse said family memeber. But what can i do for myself.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

Received a letter in the mail frm the state department saying "i am entitled to notications of finding related to you after completion of a child abuse/neglect investigations:kids names.

Threat of harm/no finding-unable to locate

Dont know who for sure made the false allegation. But im assuming it probably has something to do with a family memebers child custody fight. We share the same roof. Assuming one of the other is probably trying to look for something to accuse said family memeber. But what can i do for myself.
I am not sure I understand what is going on.

There was a complaint made against you for child abuse or neglect? Was the complaint accusing you of abuse or neglect of your own child or children, or abuse or neglect of a child or children of a family member living with you?

Were you investigated (unbeknownst to you) or was an investigation concluded with "no finding" because you could not be located (except, apparently, by mail)?

Or was the letter advising one of your family members of an investigation, the family member who is involved in a child custody matter?

I guess I really don't know what you can do for yourself at this point - but something you can do for me perhaps is to clarify your situation a bit. ;)

Thanks.

Last edited:

TB15

Yes the allegation was made towards me & my bf for neglect towards our own kids. Im assumin no finding..? It doesnt have any specific details.

LdiJ

Yes the allegation was made towards me & my bf for neglect towards our own kids. Im assumin no finding..? It doesnt have any specific details.
If you use the "reply with quote" feature it might help you answer all of the questions instead of just one question out of several.

TB15

I am not sure I understand what is going on.

There was a complaint made against you for child abuse or neglect? Was the complaint accusing you of abuse or neglect of your own child or children, or abuse or neglect of a child or children of a family member living with you?

Were you investigated (unbeknownst to you) or was an investigation concluded with "no finding" because you could not be located (except, apparently, by mail)?

Or was the letter advising one of your family members of an investigation, the family member who is involved in a child custody matter?

I guess I really don't know what you can do for yourself at this point - but something you can do for me perhaps is to clarify your situation a bit. ;)

Thanks.

Yes it was towards me not said family memeber for neglect towards my own children. Theres probably an investigation goin on but on the paper it says no findin. Im not really sure bc the paper dont give much info. My kids dont go to school yet. How should i go about this.

NellieBly

You may be entitled to a copy of the report.

My neighbors made allegations against me. I sent away for a report, which made mention of an "ongoing feud." Interesting choice of terms.

Anyways, the idiot's, I mean complainant's name was redacted, but they forgot it in one place, although I already knew who it was.

I moved.

But I digress, see if you can get a copy of the report.

quincy

Yes it was towards me not said family memeber for neglect towards my own children. Theres probably an investigation goin on but on the paper it says no findin. Im not really sure bc the paper dont give much info. My kids dont go to school yet. How should i go about this.
Thank you for answering my questions, TB15.

Absent a warrant, you do not have to let anyone from the state into your home to conduct an investigation - and it can be best if you don't.

You mentioned you live with family members who are involved in a custody dispute and you suspect the complaint against you might have something to do with their dispute. Do you live with them in their home, or do they live with you in your home? Does your boyfriend live with you, as well? Is he the father of your children? Does he have a criminal history of any sort? Do you?

Why do you believe someone would make allegations of abuse/neglect against you?

I don't really understand the notice you received from the state because it seems to imply that any investigation that might have been done has already been completed.

TB15

Thank you for answering my questions, TB15.

Absent a warrant, you do not have to let anyone from the state into your home to conduct an investigation - and it can be best if you don't.

You mentioned you live with family members who are involved in a custody dispute and you suspect the complaint against you might have something to do with their dispute. Do you live with them in their home, or do they live with you in your home? Does your boyfriend live with you, as well? Is he the father of your children? Does he have a criminal history of any sort? Do you?

Why do you believe someone would make allegations of abuse/neglect against you?

I don't really understand the notice you received from the state because it seems to imply that any investigation that might have been done has already been completed.

They live with us in our home. Our home was given to us by my boyfriend's mother. So we pay for the major portion of the bills, 80% of mortgage and the more expensive utilitiy bills while they pay for the remaining portions. We have lived together for about 4 years, all the while thier communication and interaction in thier relationship started to deminish. They started fighting over everything and avoiding eachother. Seem like the only thing they had keeping them together were thier kids and thier reputaion as a couple. Her parents never liked him from the start, so it was no surprise that they began to accuss thier own future soninlaw of stealing money from thier house. And not just thier money but the soninlaws own money, and not all of it, just half. These accusations came along with many others that had no evidnece. Nor did it make any sense becasue on the dates they claimed that things went missing, were the same dates we all took a family trip to out of town. We do not have any felonies on us. Except my boyfriend does have a minor misdeamer when he was 19, about 6 or 7 years ago. The reason i suspect her is because i can tell her intention isnt just to live her ex lover and move on with her life, like she claimed to a pokice officer when she came over to grab her things and stile half of mine. Her intention is clear when she is steal making false accusations and filing for retraining orders for no reason, simply to try to make her ex lover look unfit to support his kids. She has taken her kids and all her things to her moms house and she had not the kids out of the house not have let the father come see the kids nor even buy them things. She keeps threating to call the cops if he goes to her moms house. So with these actions that she has acted on it tells me that she isnt letting go, sje has a grudge and now its towards us too because we are one of her ex lovers shpport system. My boyfriend is her boyfriend's odler brother. And i think what she is trying to do is to try to make us look unfit with our kids so that we wont be consider a good support for the brother. Bow in a full time stay at home mom and my boyfriend works a 2nd shift job that pays for our bills.

I want to know how i can protect myself in this type of situations? I read that it is also a felony to make false accusations? How do i persue that, or should i? Any advice would be greatly appretiated. Thanks

quincy

They live with us in our home. Our home was given to us by my boyfriend's mother. So we pay for the major portion of the bills, 80% of mortgage and the more expensive utilitiy bills while they pay for the remaining portions. We have lived together for about 4 years, all the while thier communication and interaction in thier relationship started to deminish. They started fighting over everything and avoiding eachother. Seem like the only thing they had keeping them together were thier kids and thier reputaion as a couple. Her parents never liked him from the start, so it was no surprise that they began to accuss thier own future soninlaw of stealing money from thier house. And not just thier money but the soninlaws own money, and not all of it, just half. These accusations came along with many others that had no evidnece. Nor did it make any sense becasue on the dates they claimed that things went missing, were the same dates we all took a family trip to out of town. We do not have any felonies on us. Except my boyfriend does have a minor misdeamer when he was 19, about 6 or 7 years ago. The reason i suspect her is because i can tell her intention isnt just to live her ex lover and move on with her life, like she claimed to a pokice officer when she came over to grab her things and stile half of mine. Her intention is clear when she is steal making false accusations and filing for retraining orders for no reason, simply to try to make her ex lover look unfit to support his kids. She has taken her kids and all her things to her moms house and she had not the kids out of the house not have let the father come see the kids nor even buy them things. She keeps threating to call the cops if he goes to her moms house. So with these actions that she has acted on it tells me that she isnt letting go, sje has a grudge and now its towards us too because we are one of her ex lovers shpport system. My boyfriend is her boyfriend's odler brother. And i think what she is trying to do is to try to make us look unfit with our kids so that we wont be consider a good support for the brother. Bow in a full time stay at home mom and my boyfriend works a 2nd shift job that pays for our bills.

I want to know how i can protect myself in this type of situations? I read that it is also a felony to make false accusations? How do i persue that, or should i? Any advice would be greatly appretiated. Thanks
It is very hard to use complaints filed with child protective services departments as support for civil or criminal actions. The laws are there to prevent false accusations but rarely would the false accusations lead to prosecution against the filer of a complaint.

The reason for lack of prosecution is so as to not deter anyone from reporting suspected child abuse or neglect for fear that, if an investigation shows that the complaint has no merit, a lawsuit or criminal action could result. People might be afraid to say anything and that benefits no one. The system would rather have unmerited reports filed than to risk having those with merit going unreported.

That said, you can report the unfounded accusations to the police, just to have a report on hand in case more false accusations are made against you or your boyfriend. If too many false complaints are filed, child services may decide at that time to request action by the prosecutor. It will be up to the prosecutor, however, as to whether charges will be pursued or not.

Mostly what you can do is restrict as much as possible any interaction you have with any person or persons you suspect might want to make your life miserable. And, again, you do not have to let anyone into your home for an investigation of a complaint unless they have a warrant that permits them to enter without your permission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">