• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False CPS Complaint Filed as Revenge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quantumloop

What is the name of your state? New York

i am actually looking for information for a friend of mine who had the following dilemma. She had recently moved into a townhouse development in our town. There were structural issues with the way the house was built, both for her and others. She was vocal in pointing out the developer's shoddy work at a town meeting where the developer was asking the town for an extension of services so they could build more houses. They received bad press and so on. Needless to say, the developer wasnt very happy.

She explained to me that she was paid a visit by CPS because someone had filed a report that her children were forced to sleep in a basement, were dirty, and smelled of dog. When CPS came out, spoke with the kids, and inspected the house, they stated that it was obviously a false claim. She is worried that the developer may have done this to get back at her for the bad press she caused. Now i glanced around at some other postings and there was some talk about how if someone files a complaint and it turns out to be completely without merit, there could be repercussions for the filer (i believe it was equated with make a prank call to 911). In a case like this, is there any way to find out the identity of the filer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
quantumloop said:
What is the name of your state? New York

i am actually looking for information for a friend of mine who had the following dilemma. She had recently moved into a townhouse development in our town. There were structural issues with the way the house was built, both for her and others. She was vocal in pointing out the developer's shoddy work at a town meeting where the developer was asking the town for an extension of services so they could build more houses. They received bad press and so on. Needless to say, the developer wasnt very happy.

She explained to me that she was paid a visit by CPS because someone had filed a report that her children were forced to sleep in a basement, were dirty, and smelled of dog. When CPS came out, spoke with the kids, and inspected the house, they stated that it was obviously a false claim. She is worried that the developer may have done this to get back at her for the bad press she caused. Now i glanced around at some other postings and there was some talk about how if someone files a complaint and it turns out to be completely without merit, there could be repercussions for the filer (i believe it was equated with make a prank call to 911). In a case like this, is there any way to find out the identity of the filer?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
NOpe. It is kept confidential to protect the child(ren) so unless the developer admits it there is nothing you can do.

BL

The Person(s) that are named as the " alleged " perpetrates can request a copy of the report from the State Central Registry in writing , but they can withhold the name of the reporter , etc ., and black some information out .

No matter how many reports are made against person(s) , there's nothing that can be done to the reporter(s) .

The State has to investigate each and every report screened and taken .

LdiJ

I once dealth with someone who went after me for "revenge"...within 24 hours I had CPS, animal control, the health department, and the police department (looking for an alledged runaway) all at my house.

The person who did this got away with harassing me...and in fact this person did similar things to anyone who made them mad for any reason. About a year later they screwed up enough that they got arrested, with an 80k bond. Unfortunately though it wasn't due to a false CPS, animal control etc. complaint....it was due to a blatantly false accusation against a medical professional. She was dumb enough to make a false "drug trafficking" complaint against a nurse...giving her name....when the pharmacy records showed no drugs missiing or even any questionable transactions.

The police and the DA were fed up enough with her at that point to slam her.

There really are people out there who will use the system to get "revenge"....and unfortunately the system can't do much about it.

CandiceH

I have been trying to locate the website that deals with false CPS claims in NY. Before I was a registered childcare provider, the childcare provider of MY child started making false claims against the parents because we had her shut down. I had CPS at my door FOUR times in TWO weeks. I contacted the Department of Children and Family Services to find that yes, the person making FALSE allegations could be charged (trying to find what the charge actually would have been).

During MY state child care classes we were also told that if a person is not a NY State MANDATED reporter (such as a teacher, etc) and they made MORE than two negligent false complaints about the same person in ONE month that the Department of Children and Family Services could have the reporter charged with making false claims.

More information: I had a neighbor that did this to her MOTHER out of revenge four years ago. Called three times in one month to report that her mother was abusing her sister. She (my ex friend) was "visited" by a caseworker and a police officer and was warned to stop making false allegations.

I dont know if this helps and it is not legal advice, just what I have first hand experience with. One complaint is NOT going to get her anywhere!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">