• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Police report!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindabz35

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Massachusettes

I recently filed a false police report on my ex boyfriend, accussing him of domestic violence. I never intended to press charges, however I did not know that the state could prosecute him, with or without me pressing charges. Now he is facing serious time. I did not think that it would become such a big deal. Now I would like to know what I can do to better the situation. I regret my actions, but I am not sure as to what to do. I would really like to know if I should go to court, or the Police departement to state the truth, and what charges, or time would I be facing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Many victims of abuse later try to recant their statement. THAT is why the state may prosecute with or without you.

Lindabz35

I understand now why the state is prosecuting, is there any chance that I might be able to expalin to a judge that I made false allegations on the defendant.

Micmogen

Many victims of DV also minimize or do not report the abuses at all, making it even more difficult to protect the victim and the children (in those cases). This is particularly true when the victim is male, the perp female. DV against men is statistically the most under-reported crime. Tragically, when men DO report such, there has been a long established history of perceiving the male as USUALLY the perp, even despite evidence. Also, law enforcement really has very little training or understanding of what really is DV, particularly when no apparent "violence" has occurred. In my situation, (see today's posting "Emotional Abuse and Joint Parenting"), the DA had attempted prosecuting me of telephone harassment based on my placing 6 calls in one hour, and another after 11pm, on a day of the week that civil court orders mandated such "parenting conferences" occur. Four of those calls were recorded messages pertaining to urgent parenting issues, two "hang-ups", and one a conversation with our daughter. Now, because I neglected to report 5 previous assaults perpetrated by my spouse (now ex-), when she was arrested for assault: as per Colorado Statutes being the second police contact related to DV, both of us were arrested, and I was more severely punished (for harassment). Then, as per telephone harassment, when the ex-spouse had called me at work 48 times in one day, 14 times in 40 minutes, 28 times in half an hour, on and on . . . the DA assumed I was "retaliating" to report such, despite repeated attempts by law enforcement to supplement reports with phone bills and repeatedly submitting complaints?! I was not protected, even when proper authorities were notified of the facts.

Now, if this boyfriend has in the very least done anything "remotely resembling" DV, and if there is ANY evidence other than your "testimony," you should expect his prosecution and pray he gets the help he needs. This is for the protection of YOU, any children, and his future partners. PERIOD. Getting soft only subjects yourself and others to further victimizations, and is MOST LIKELY. I learned the hard way.

And if you DID actually fabricate or falsify a report, and this can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, you probably don't have much to worry about consequences to yourself. Maybe the DA will eventually dismiss the case, as in my recent situation, and temporarily forget about the boyfriend. BUT, should this really be the case - perhaps YOU need the help (DV counseling) to protect YOUR children and future partnerships. Really.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I understand now why the state is prosecuting, is there any chance that I might be able to expalin to a judge that I made false allegations on the defendant.
Yes you can tell the judge that. YOu can swear to it under oath. In fact I encourage you to do so.

And then you can immediately be charged with several crimes including lying to law enforcement, obstruction of justice, and a few others that I could try to think of. You are aware of what sent Martha Stewart to prison for 10 months? Lying to law enforcement. Good job.

And then I hope your boyfriend sues you civilly for all the money he is out due to your lies and deceit. Plus punitive damages. So you are probably looking at a lowball figure of 10k. And then, you should probably seek out therapy/counseling to find out why you are such a pathetic liar who has no problem destroying people's lives with falsehoods.

Have a good day.

KimInNY

In my experiance in NY courts against my BF who is a abuser, I have so many times filed reports and said I wanted to press charges. (most recently he stuck a gun in my neck) and each and every time I never went forword with the case,

Every time the court was a nusence (to him) but in the end, simply dropped the charges due to lack of evidence. So just stop, and dont go any further and dont say another word. I'm sure the charges will be dropped if not pled down(depending on his lawyer) who should be the one defending him, not you.

Good luck.

KimInNY

Many victims of DV also minimize or do not report the abuses at all, making it even more difficult to protect the victim and the children (in those cases). This is particularly true when the victim is male, the perp female. DV against men is statistically the most under-reported crime. Tragically, when men DO report such, there has been a long established history of perceiving the male as USUALLY the perp, even despite evidence. Also, law enforcement really has very little training or understanding of what really is DV, particularly when no apparent "violence" has occurred. In my situation, (see today's posting "Emotional Abuse and Joint Parenting"), the DA had attempted prosecuting me of telephone harassment based on my placing 6 calls in one hour, and another after 11pm, on a day of the week that civil court orders mandated such "parenting conferences" occur. Four of those calls were recorded messages pertaining to urgent parenting issues, two "hang-ups", and one a conversation with our daughter. Now, because I neglected to report 5 previous assaults perpetrated by my spouse (now ex-), when she was arrested for assault: as per Colorado Statutes being the second police contact related to DV, both of us were arrested, and I was more severely punished (for harassment). Then, as per telephone harassment, when the ex-spouse had called me at work 48 times in one day, 14 times in 40 minutes, 28 times in half an hour, on and on . . . the DA assumed I was "retaliating" to report such, despite repeated attempts by law enforcement to supplement reports with phone bills and repeatedly submitting complaints?! I was not protected, even when proper authorities were notified of the facts.

Now, if this boyfriend has in the very least done anything "remotely resembling" DV, and if there is ANY evidence other than your "testimony," you should expect his prosecution and pray he gets the help he needs. This is for the protection of YOU, any children, and his future partners. PERIOD. Getting soft only subjects yourself and others to further victimizations, and is MOST LIKELY. I learned the hard way.

And if you DID actually fabricate or falsify a report, and this can be proved beyond a reasonable doubt, you probably don't have much to worry about consequences to yourself. Maybe the DA will eventually dismiss the case, as in my recent situation, and temporarily forget about the boyfriend. BUT, should this really be the case - perhaps YOU need the help (DV counseling) to protect YOUR children and future partnerships. Really.
<RE DIRECTLY BELOW>

Well, sometimes and most times, without the vic's testimony, theres nothing the DA ADA can do, except wait to see if anything else comes up, dragging the case out. then dropping charges, expencive and annoying, but I sspect he did something to deserve this at the time you just convienently forgot what it was and now you feel bad. ITS OK. i totally agree getting soft causes further suffering and the message "its ok to do this to me" I know the hard way, and i dont think i"ve learned anything ovr the 7 yrs of the abuse, except it doesnt go away. it may change (like from physical to compleately verbal and financial ) or the exact opposite, (emotional to suddenly very violent. )

Just leave it to the courts and stay away from him.

mmmagique

<RE DIRECTLY BELOW>

Well, sometimes and most times, without the vic's testimony, theres nothing the DA ADA can do, except wait to see if anything else comes up, dragging the case out. then dropping charges, expencive and annoying, but I sspect he did something to deserve this at the time you just convienently forgot what it was and now you feel bad. Just leave it to the courts and stay away from him.
Do you have citations and/or statistics to back up this assertation?
It is dangerous to give this type of advice to someone who may be facing serious charges in the near future.

~Christina

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Massachusettes

I recently filed a false police report on my ex boyfriend, accussing him of domestic violence. I never intended to press charges, however I did not know that the state could prosecute him, with or without me pressing charges. Now he is facing serious time. I did not think that it would become such a big deal. Now I would like to know what I can do to better the situation. I regret my actions, but I am not sure as to what to do. I would really like to know if I should go to court, or the Police departement to state the truth, and what charges, or time would I be facing.
**A: can't tell whether you are lying or telling the truth.

KimInNY

Do you have citations and/or statistics to back up this assertation?
It is dangerous to give this type of advice to someone who may be facing serious charges in the near future.

~Christina

As a matter of fact I do, it sais in the united states constitution, that a person accused of a crimial act must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and a statement is not enough proof, (and according to her orig. post, they dont even have that, they have a police report, there hadnt even been an investigation to see if it wes real or not.) there is no direct testimony to back it up (and not because shes dead.) and no pictures or witnesses or a complainant. so the charges must be dropped.

Again and again my hubby has been told the state picked up the case and they were going to procecute, but without me they had nothing.(and the charges were not made up, they had pics of the bruses and black eyes, i was damn neer dead and they had nothing, They found the gun, they had the 911 tape and the statement from me, couldnt make that stick either, so thoes charges are way more serious then a false report, and how do you expect the DA to prove something that didnt happen.

Seriously... , this dude needs a lawyer and he should get one. PERIOD. his lawyer will point out the prosecution has no case and hopefully it goes no further then that.

Last edited:

davew128

As a matter of fact I do, it sais in the united states constitution, that a person accused of a crimial act must be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and a statement is not enough proof, (and according to her orig. post, they dont even have that, they have a police report, there hadnt even been an investigation to see if it wes real or not.) there is no direct testimony to back it up (and not because shes dead.) and no pictures or witnesses or a complainant. so the charges must be dropped.

<snip>

Seriously... , this dude needs a lawyer and he should get one. PERIOD. his lawyer will point out the prosecution has no case and hopefully it goes no further then that.
I'm sure he will feel so much better for the experience if the OP's comment about a false police report is true. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

KimInNY

KISS MY ASS YOU STUPID ****IN BITCH!!!!!!!!!!
YOU MUST BE SOOOOO ****IN PERFECT, NEVER MADE A MISTAKE. YOU MUST THINK THAT YOU ARE SOME KIND OF ****ING SAINT... NEWS FLASH BITCH, YOU DONT KNOW WHAT TOMMOROW MIGHT BRING YOUR ASS, OR WHAT WRONGFULL DECISIONS YOU MIGHT MAKE WHEN YOUR JUDGEMENT IS A LITTLE CLOUDY. I ADMIT I SHOULDNT HAVE RETELIATED IN THAT WAY, BUT SOMETIMES IT'S HARD TO BE THE BIGGER PERSON. I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR RESPONSE. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL I HAVE BEEN THROUGH. UNLIKE ALOT OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO NEVER ADMIT THEIR MISTAKES, OR TRY TO TAKE THEM BACK. I HAVE AND I AM TRYING VERY HARD TO DO SO. ALL I WANTED WAS SOMEONE TO MAYBE HELP ME. I KNOW WHAT I DID WAS WRONG AND I WISH THAT I COULD TAKE IT BACK, I CANT ALL I CAN DO IS TRY TO BETTER THE SITUATION. IF I DO TIME I DONT HAVE ANY PROBLEM PAYING FOR MY ACTIONS. BUT TRUST, I WILL NOT LIE UNDER OATH. BUT IT SAYS ALOT ABOUT YOU, TO ENCOURAGE ANOTHER CRIME. BITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO ONE IS PERFECT EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES. WHO THE **** ARE YOU TO JUDGE ME?

OMG what is wrong with you,

Its you who is the abuser and he should have filed against you. I see now why you did a false report you are not at all stable.

Dude, you wanted to know, you put it the way you did and now your mad you got advise and the real honest truth from someone.

Maby you should get a lawyer. to defend yourself inthe future.

xylene

You are aware of what sent Martha Stewart to prison for 10 months?
Moral panic at the revelation that hyper-speculative stock trading, once lauded as the future of capitalism, was nothing but a perverse culture of greed, manipulation and malevolence.

So it was time to throw someone under the bus.
Who better to toss than a woman of power...

Over a transaction involving easily thousands of dollars...
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">