• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False Police Report

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

st-kitts

understand that since more than 4/3 of DV victims recant within some 48 hours, the DA is likely expecting you to march in and say something like that. Don't be surprised if they do not immediately believe your sudden attack of conscience.

Ask yourself ... is he worth going to jail for? Are you really going to risk jail to protect him? After all, he is not willing to step up and take responsibility for his actions against you ... yet you are willing to do for him what he is not willing to do for you.

Please contact a domestic violence shelter or support group. Your county's victim-witness program could be a good source of information to begin.
CDwJava, every time you post to the DV forum and so eloquently explain the dynamics of domestic violence, I am filled with gratitude.

Thank you for posting (over and over) the statistics on the number of victims that recant.

Thank you for continuing to try to protect victims from themselves and their abuser. Education on the cycle of violence and how common it is for the victim to recant helps to get through to the victim - maybe not today, but someday.

The original posters may not appreciate your advice now, but someday, sometime they will either appreciate following your advice, or sincerely wish that they had.

I see our OP as a VICTIM who fails to recognize it. Our OP needs INTENSE counseling to recognize her position and take steps to remedy it. Hopefully, the prison time her husband serves is long enough to allow her to get a clear picture of this.
I think that you are in the minority...OP claims to have filed a false police report.

OP needs intense AA classes, I'll agree with you on that point.

CdwJava

I think that you are in the minority...OP claims to have filed a false police report.

OP needs intense AA classes, I'll agree with you on that point.
I also believe that the OP is a victim who is now feeling the guilt and shame of what she believes to be her part in instigating the incident. This is part of what is oft-called "Battered Woman Syndrome."

I do not believe that she knowingly and intentionally lied to the police. She admits to a fight with her hubby and that she was injured as a result. What it seems she wants to do is claim that she was an equal partner to the altercation and that her injuries were incidental (an accident, if you will) to the altercation and not entirely his fault. In the vast majority of these incidents you will find that the primary aggressor is still the male, and is still the party that inflicted the injuries. I suspect he is being charged because he was seen as the primary aggressor and not solely because she was injured in the drunken melee.

If she chooses to recant, I hope that CPS gets involved quickly, because the cycle of violence here will almost certainly continue. In many counties they jump in quickly to put the family on notice to get help or lose the children. I have on several occasions in recent years had the unpleasant duty of removing young children from homes where mom and dad seemed to feel that their right to beat each other and stay together was more important than their child. And, you know what? Alcohol was an active part in almost all of them! (Imagine that ... :eek:)

mechellidelli

similar situation

i am going through a similar situation. I just found out that my husband can be facing felony charges over a one time incident. I agree we both should complete counselling and anger management. we planned on attending marriage counselling in a few weeks. I do not agree that everyone whom has a physical altercation should be marred with a felony. I plan to recant my story not because i lied or because i'm dumb but because either way we both lose and so do our ids and id rather get a misdemeanor for a first offense than he get a felony for a first offense.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
i am going through a similar situation. I just found out that my husband can be facing felony charges over a one time incident. I agree we both should complete counselling and anger management. we planned on attending marriage counselling in a few weeks. I do not agree that everyone whom has a physical altercation should be marred with a felony. I plan to recant my story not because i lied or because i'm dumb but because either way we both lose and so do our ids and id rather get a misdemeanor for a first offense than he get a felony for a first offense.
If the original poster has not solved his problems in the past 3 years, he's got bigger issues than any message board could have handled.

You've both necroposted and hijacked. It is customary on this board to do neither. Please start your own thread if you have a question. :cool:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">