• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely accused in Colorado

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MALEDVCOLORADO

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADO

I was involved in DV last month and now again this month with my spouse. This is in Douglas county, Lone Tree, CO. My spouse assaulted me and I left the apt and signed myself off the lease to avoid any more trouble. I was only able to grab a few things while she was gone and left. Signed my self off the lease. Two days later I stop by to pickup the rest of my things and leave. She wouldnt let me in I pushed in the door didnt confront her and she called the police. They charged me with criminal trespassing and mischief. One felony and one misdeameanor. They only charge my wife with assault because I had pictures on my phone. We both see the judge and she gets a $1000 and I get $3000. We bond out and two days later we are back together co-habitating trying to make things work for my son. A day before she goes back to court and two days before I go to court again and on my sons 5th birthday we get into it becuase she is cheating on me and I found out through the text messages on her cell phone. She comes after me assaults me I push her off me and her phone breaks. Fast forward the next day I she drops my son off and goes to the police station and tells them I assaulted her and other things. Lone Tree p.d. arrests her for violating the protection order and books her. They call me to come in to talk and arrest me. They book me on Burgulary first degree, assault 3rd degree, mischief, false imprisionment and violating MPO. They load me up and book me. We go to court again the next day and the judge gives her a $1000 bond and I get a $10000 bond with a gps ankle montior. How is it that the police find anything the can in the book to charge me and hesitate charging her when I have clear signs of abuse? they interogate me for 10 minutes in my cell saying that i am lying and the bruises and marks dont look fresh. I give up. I have lost my job, have no family here, no income no help. The DA is only concerned about prosecuting as deep as they can. I have no criminal history other than these two dv's. I have served my country nine years as an infantry soldier and two oversea tours. And now I am in danger of being labeled a felon and criminal. Where is the justice. They dont care about helping me and I am now trying to fight for my life. any help that anyone could give me or provide I would be greatly appreciated. I am now homeless and living in the street. I use the library computers becuase there free. Please help.

Gracie3787

If you are being charged with a felony you should be able to get a public defender.

If not, then you NEED to find an attorney ASAP.

What are they charging you with?

MALEDVCOLORADO

The first set of charges are Criminal trespassing and criminal mischief with domsetic violence as an enhancer. The second time they arrested me it was for First degree Burgulary, 3rd degree assault, criminal mischief, violation of protection order, false imprisonment and domestic violence as the enhancer. I feel like I have lost everything that I have spent my whole life working for. I feel like I should of just stayed in the Army and eaten a bullet in Iraq if I knew this was what I was coming back to. I have spoken to alot of people and they say that the county that I am in only cares about prosecuting people and sending them to jail. LIved my whole life violence free and crime free and all it took was one month to have a criminal record placed on me. I am depressed, I suffer from PTSD, my spouse had me arrested on my sons 5th birthday and today is fathers day and I cant even talk to or see my son. I have nothing left. Alll i care about is my son. Why are people like this? What did I do to deserve all this? I feel like a monster and horrible person.

AbusedbyMnL

Maledvcolorado,

I am a new member here and posted a problem of my own. I am going to give you some advice given me by another member. Counseling. Is there VA center there that could help you get counseling? You are in a tough spot and need to get some help to get you through this time.

st-kitts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADO

I was involved in DV last month and now again this month with my spouse. This is in Douglas county, Lone Tree, CO. My spouse assaulted me and I left the apt and signed myself off the lease to avoid any more trouble. I was only able to grab a few things while she was gone and left. Signed my self off the lease. Two days later I stop by to pickup the rest of my things and leave. She wouldnt let me in I pushed in the door didnt confront her and she called the police. .
You admit to pushing in the door after you signed yourself off the lease. You were aware your wife could be violent, but went alone to retrieve your belongings. Hindsight being 20/20, this was a bad move.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOThey charged me with criminal trespassing and mischief. One felony and one misdeameanor. .
Probably, because you had no legal right to enter the residence at this point.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? They only charge my wife with assault because I had pictures on my phone. .
They did charge her, which means they believed there could be some credibility to your report.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?We both see the judge and she gets a $1000 and I get $3000. We bond out and two days later we are back together co-habitating trying to make things work for my son. .

Was a stay away order put in place with the bond? This would be typical. Violating the stay away order indicates to the judge and the DA that you do not take the charges or the process serioiusly. Hindsight being 20/20, another bad move.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOA day before she goes back to court and two days before I go to court again and on my sons 5th birthday we get into it becuase she is cheating on me and I found out through the text messages on her cell phone. She comes after me assaults me I push her off me and her phone breaks. .
Not sure I am buying this part... Not sure the cops are either.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOFast forward the next day I she drops my son off and goes to the police station and tells them I assaulted her and other things. Lone Tree p.d. arrests her for violating the protection order and books her. They call me to come in to talk and arrest me. They book me on Burgulary first degree, assault 3rd degree, mischief, false imprisionment and violating MPO. .
Apparently, she viewed the fight differently than you.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOThey load me up and book me. We go to court again the next day and the judge gives her a $1000 bond and I get a $10000 bond with a gps ankle montior. .
Again, they are reacting to both you and your wife's actions. They seem to responding proportionately based on the level of relative guilt assigned to each party.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOHow is it that the police find anything the can in the book to charge me and hesitate charging her when I have clear signs of abuse? they interogate me for 10 minutes in my cell saying that i am lying and the bruises and marks dont look fresh. I give up. I have lost my job, have no family here, no income no help. .
Again, if your wife is abusing you, that does not give you ground to abuse her. Self defense is only reasonable force to stop an attack. Anything beyond that and you face trouble.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOThe DA is only concerned about prosecuting as deep as they can. I have no criminal history other than these two dv's. I have served my country nine years as an infantry soldier and two oversea tours. .
First, thank you for your service. I do recommend you find counseling. There are courses for batterers that address domestic violence. You might consider enrolling in one. And I think you were wisely advised the VA may have something you can try. The DA is only concerned with prosecution. It is his/her job. You might ask your attorney to bring up your service during sentencing, if convicted, and it may help in your favor at that point in time.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? COLORADOAnd now I am in danger of being labeled a felon and criminal. Where is the justice. They dont care about helping me and I am now trying to fight for my life. any help that anyone could give me or provide I would be greatly appreciated. I am now homeless and living in the street. I use the library computers becuase there free. Please help.
You do need legal assistance. If you can retain your own attorney, it could be money very well spent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">