• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Filing for ex parte TRO on behalf of my daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KristenJohnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I share equally physical/legal custody of my 3 children w my ex-husband. My oldest daughter has had a great deal of emotional issues, depression, anxiety, etc. which I'm certain are related to our messy litigious divorce which began 6 years ago. Things had calmed down significantly over the past 2 years. My 2 older girls do complain a great deal about their father's house and always have. I realize I cannot control what goes on over there so my strategy has been to arm them w/ knowledge in how to deal with certain situations versus calling me crying, texting, etc. It seems to have worked well with 2 of them but my oldest (14) absolutely struggles. She began cutting herself awhile back; it took awhile before I noticed because she hid it well.

Last March, when it was time to return to her dad's after a visitation with me, she refused to go. Based on her reasons, which I found to be valid, I didn't force her. She is going into high school and I feel she should have *some* say in these types of decisions. Her father was upset but really didn't pursue the issue. It was suggested by my paralegal that I file a motion requesting that my daughter be allowed some say w/ regard to visitation (basically, she couldn't be forced to go and he couldn't come to my house w/ the police at 11:00 at night waving a custody ordering & pulling kids out of bed, which he had done on prior occasions) I didn't seek any changes w/ regard to legal or even physical (so he wouldn't look at it as a child support issue and freak out)

Meanwhile, while in my care, 14 year old was improving emotionally, STOPPED cutting, was attending church and really focusing on her faith, school work, friendships, etc. Things were going well. She would see her dad occasionally at my urging (go have dinner with him, go to the park w/ your borther & sister & dad, etc.) My ex didn't like the motion I'd requested and retailiated by asking for 100% legal/physical custody to himself w/ no visitation to me. There really was no basis for this request other than anger & revenge.

We end up in mediation. Mediator shoots everyone down. No change in custody, 14 year old will be forced to visit w/ dad. She went back with him when the summer ended. (I have them fulltime during the summer) Ex has new girlfriend heavy into party scene (tattooed forehead & entire body, bullring piercings, lip & eye, pink hair - going out evey night) she has a history of being really awful to the kids (calling them little *******s, telling them she wants to sock them in the face plus she drinks like a fish) In turn, ex has began to drink heavily again, possibly doing drugs (heard from another source), loud sex during the day with my children & their friends present, house is filthy (rotting food everywhere, ants, mess, kids dont have beds - mattresses on floor), generally neglectful - rarely comes out of his room. Retreats w/ a case of beer, bottle of vodka & carton of cigarettes. I could go on & on.

My daughter slips back into depression and the crying phonecalls, texts start again and being that it is his custodial time, there is nothing I can do.

Last week, he had been drinking, was furious over something they'd apparently done? not sure what, came in my girls room, ripped television set out of wall, threw it toward them, smashed their stuff, picked it up again & hurled off balcony. (Im told this is the THIRD time he has done this) I received a phonecall from my middle daughter, hysterical, hiding in closet crying. he was pissed at my oldest. Had her in the hallway for an hour + with her nose in the corner denying her right to go to bathroom or contact me (against custody agreement) stomping around being scary & a jerk. I called in an anonymous welfare check to the police as I was scared for them. Police went out, kids said they were blown off, officer joking around w/ ex & left. Daughter wrote a suicide note. Went & showed her dad and begged to call me. He gave her 5 minutes to talk while he stood over her. She told me she was going to put a gun to her head. I got her calmed down, I think & convinced her to go to sleep.

The next day, she ran away after school. She was later located at the church where she had gone to pray & talk to her pastor (not that running away is okay..) Ex located her eventually and drug her out of the church. Church being mandated, called police & reported. Police NEVER went & checked the house. They di, however, call my ex & ask "How are the kids?" He said "Fine, my oldest is drama, yada, yada. They accepted that & closed the file. My ex was furious with her for talking to her Pastor. Was screaming, yelling, throwing food at her, pushed her, took her phone away. She proceeded to mutilate her thighs, stomach & arms in frustration. She went to her school psychologist the next day who escalated the matter to the county (as she scored a 9/10 on a suicidal ideation evaluation) I took her to the county to be evaluated & they got CPS involved. CPS opens investigation.

I spoke w/ supervisor at CPS who advised me to file for an ex parte TRO to protect my daughter as my ex has a loaded gun in the house and doesn't seem to have any regard for her mental health. Despite the fact that it wasn't my custodial day, I elected to keep her overnight again setting him off. I advised him that CPS had told me to do so, although only verbally. I realized I would be cited for not complying w/ the custody agreement but I truly believed her life/health depended on it so I was willing to take the hit. This was on a Thursday. It was my weekend, so I waited to file for TRO as I wanted to gather a statement from the Pastor & some other evidence.

Ex called school today & attempted have her pulled out 10 minutes early so that he could take her and she wouldnt be there when I went to pick up. She called me in an absolute panic. The teacher held her and I went & got her. I currently have her at a relatives house so she is safe. Otherwise, he would stalk my home, have the police out, etc. and honestly, I'm afraid of him.

I realize this is a ton of backstory. I need to go down tomorrow & file for the exparte. My question is how much evidence do I include?

- I have photos from Facebook of him pea****ing with a handgun (admitting he's drunk & its loaded and had been accidentally "misplaced" for 6 months..oops and LOL..)
- I have the report from the county stating she self injures & is suicide risk - no mention of her father
- a letter from the school psychologist stating she is in terrible shape emptionally, self harming and a suicide risk.
- Kaiser refuses to do letter for anyone but when I took her in, the therapist said directly "The restaining order should be made permanent. He is a trigger for her and very dangerous" but I can't get anything stating this. Can I just mention it?
- Am I taking it too far to include photos of him & his girlfriend? They look incredibly scary and menacing

What are the key points that will get the TRO granted? I feel she is a danger to herslf when she is at his house. The goal is for her to not have to go over there. Do I seek 100% physical/legal?

Finally, I have my two other children. His house is a crap environment but my goal isnt to take his kids away forever. Kids need 2 parents. I need him to clean up his act. They seem to deal with it a little better than my 14 year old. Should I be including them as protected parties in the TRO or only my oldest daughter because she is an immediate suicide risk?

Thanks for reading my long story. I need to know exactly what it will take to get this restraining order granted without putting the judge off by going overboard.

LdiJ

I share equally physical/legal custody of my 3 children w my ex-husband. My oldest daughter has had a great deal of emotional issues, depression, anxiety, etc. which I'm certain are related to our messy litigious divorce which began 6 years ago. Things had calmed down significantly over the past 2 years. My 2 older girls do complain a great deal about their father's house and always have. I realize I cannot control what goes on over there so my strategy has been to arm them w/ knowledge in how to deal with certain situations versus calling me crying, texting, etc. It seems to have worked well with 2 of them but my oldest (14) absolutely struggles. She began cutting herself awhile back; it took awhile before I noticed because she hid it well.

Last March, when it was time to return to her dad's after a visitation with me, she refused to go. Based on her reasons, which I found to be valid, I didn't force her. She is going into high school and I feel she should have *some* say in these types of decisions. Her father was upset but really didn't pursue the issue. It was suggested by my paralegal that I file a motion requesting that my daughter be allowed some say w/ regard to visitation (basically, she couldn't be forced to go and he couldn't come to my house w/ the police at 11:00 at night waving a custody ordering & pulling kids out of bed, which he had done on prior occasions) I didn't seek any changes w/ regard to legal or even physical (so he wouldn't look at it as a child support issue and freak out)

Meanwhile, while in my care, 14 year old was improving emotionally, STOPPED cutting, was attending church and really focusing on her faith, school work, friendships, etc. Things were going well. She would see her dad occasionally at my urging (go have dinner with him, go to the park w/ your borther & sister & dad, etc.) My ex didn't like the motion I'd requested and retailiated by asking for 100% legal/physical custody to himself w/ no visitation to me. There really was no basis for this request other than anger & revenge.

We end up in mediation. Mediator shoots everyone down. No change in custody, 14 year old will be forced to visit w/ dad. She went back with him when the summer ended. (I have them fulltime during the summer) Ex has new girlfriend heavy into party scene (tattooed forehead & entire body, bullring piercings, lip & eye, pink hair - going out evey night) she has a history of being really awful to the kids (calling them little *******s, telling them she wants to sock them in the face plus she drinks like a fish) In turn, ex has began to drink heavily again, possibly doing drugs (heard from another source), loud sex during the day with my children & their friends present, house is filthy (rotting food everywhere, ants, mess, kids dont have beds - mattresses on floor), generally neglectful - rarely comes out of his room. Retreats w/ a case of beer, bottle of vodka & carton of cigarettes. I could go on & on.

My daughter slips back into depression and the crying phonecalls, texts start again and being that it is his custodial time, there is nothing I can do.

Last week, he had been drinking, was furious over something they'd apparently done? not sure what, came in my girls room, ripped television set out of wall, threw it toward them, smashed their stuff, picked it up again & hurled off balcony. (Im told this is the THIRD time he has done this) I received a phonecall from my middle daughter, hysterical, hiding in closet crying. he was pissed at my oldest. Had her in the hallway for an hour + with her nose in the corner denying her right to go to bathroom or contact me (against custody agreement) stomping around being scary & a jerk. I called in an anonymous welfare check to the police as I was scared for them. Police went out, kids said they were blown off, officer joking around w/ ex & left. Daughter wrote a suicide note. Went & showed her dad and begged to call me. He gave her 5 minutes to talk while he stood over her. She told me she was going to put a gun to her head. I got her calmed down, I think & convinced her to go to sleep.

The next day, she ran away after school. She was later located at the church where she had gone to pray & talk to her pastor (not that running away is okay..) Ex located her eventually and drug her out of the church. Church being mandated, called police & reported. Police NEVER went & checked the house. They di, however, call my ex & ask "How are the kids?" He said "Fine, my oldest is drama, yada, yada. They accepted that & closed the file. My ex was furious with her for talking to her Pastor. Was screaming, yelling, throwing food at her, pushed her, took her phone away. She proceeded to mutilate her thighs, stomach & arms in frustration. She went to her school psychologist the next day who escalated the matter to the county (as she scored a 9/10 on a suicidal ideation evaluation) I took her to the county to be evaluated & they got CPS involved. CPS opens investigation.

I spoke w/ supervisor at CPS who advised me to file for an ex parte TRO to protect my daughter as my ex has a loaded gun in the house and doesn't seem to have any regard for her mental health. Despite the fact that it wasn't my custodial day, I elected to keep her overnight again setting him off. I advised him that CPS had told me to do so, although only verbally. I realized I would be cited for not complying w/ the custody agreement but I truly believed her life/health depended on it so I was willing to take the hit. This was on a Thursday. It was my weekend, so I waited to file for TRO as I wanted to gather a statement from the Pastor & some other evidence.

Ex called school today & attempted have her pulled out 10 minutes early so that he could take her and she wouldnt be there when I went to pick up. She called me in an absolute panic. The teacher held her and I went & got her. I currently have her at a relatives house so she is safe. Otherwise, he would stalk my home, have the police out, etc. and honestly, I'm afraid of him.

I realize this is a ton of backstory. I need to go down tomorrow & file for the exparte. My question is how much evidence do I include?

- I have photos from Facebook of him pea****ing with a handgun (admitting he's drunk & its loaded and had been accidentally "misplaced" for 6 months..oops and LOL..)
- I have the report from the county stating she self injures & is suicide risk - no mention of her father
- a letter from the school psychologist stating she is in terrible shape emptionally, self harming and a suicide risk.
- Kaiser refuses to do letter for anyone but when I took her in, the therapist said directly "The restaining order should be made permanent. He is a trigger for her and very dangerous" but I can't get anything stating this. Can I just mention it?
- Am I taking it too far to include photos of him & his girlfriend? They look incredibly scary and menacing

What are the key points that will get the TRO granted? I feel she is a danger to herslf when she is at his house. The goal is for her to not have to go over there. Do I seek 100% physical/legal?

Finally, I have my two other children. His house is a crap environment but my goal isnt to take his kids away forever. Kids need 2 parents. I need him to clean up his act. They seem to deal with it a little better than my 14 year old. Should I be including them as protected parties in the TRO or only my oldest daughter because she is an immediate suicide risk?

Thanks for reading my long story. I need to know exactly what it will take to get this restraining order granted without putting the judge off by going overboard.
I think that you need to get an attorney involved in this. Based on what the professionals are saying your daughter's life is at risk and I don't think that you should go into this without an attorney.

Proserpina

Okay.

Last March, when it was time to return to her dad's after a visitation with me, she refused to go. Based on her reasons, which I found to be valid, I didn't force her. She is going into high school and I feel she should have *some* say in these types of decisions.

You would be wrong. She has no say - you're the parent, she's the child, and you have a court order.

Her father was upset but really didn't pursue the issue. It was suggested by my paralegal that I file a motion requesting that my daughter be allowed some say w/ regard to visitation (basically, she couldn't be forced to go and he couldn't come to my house w/ the police at 11:00 at night waving a custody ordering & pulling kids out of bed, which he had done on prior occasions) I didn't seek any changes w/ regard to legal or even physical (so he wouldn't look at it as a child support issue and freak out)
Your paralegal needs to be sanctioned, quite honestly.

You don't see why? :confused: Seriously?

We end up in mediation. Mediator shoots everyone down. No change in custody, 14 year old will be forced to visit w/ dad.

And this is why we don't let the kids decide - because it NEVER turns out well.

She went back with him when the summer ended. (I have them fulltime during the summer) Ex has new girlfriend heavy into party scene (tattooed forehead & entire body, bullring piercings, lip & eye, pink hair - going out evey night)

Okay, STOP. Right here.

Tattoos, piercings and pink hair equate to exactly what in your book?

Tread VERY carefully here, Mom.

she has a history of being really awful to the kids (calling them little *******s, telling them she wants to sock them in the face plus she drinks like a fish) In turn, ex has began to drink heavily again, possibly doing drugs (heard from another source), loud sex during the day with my children & their friends present, house is filthy (rotting food everywhere, ants, mess, kids dont have beds - mattresses on floor), generally neglectful - rarely comes out of his room. Retreats w/ a case of beer, bottle of vodka & carton of cigarettes. I could go on & on.
Proof?

What are you doing to help her? Are you engaging it? Are you giving her the sympathetic Mom ear?

There is something going on here. It is obviously not all the fault of Dad, or yourself. There's something deeper at play.

Please answer this:

If CPS thought she was in immediate danger, why didn't they remove her? And the therapist won't put anything in writing either?

What do you want Dad to do?

Eekamouse

No, the mom is obviously a large part of the problem. That crap with the cell phone is just utterly disgusting. What sort of mother would pull something like that and include her child in it with her? The mom is drama and she's making sure her kids learn the importance of being dramatic, too. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

KristenJohnson

Thanks for the advice

Im dramatic & the crux of the issue and therefore, my daughter should stay at her fathers where she can continue to suffer, mutilate her body and just maybe blow her own head off at which point you can all put up your "party" emoticons because you were right. Whoo-hoo! Thanks for the guidance.

Proserpina

Im dramatic & the crux of the issue and therefore, my daughter should stay at her fathers where she can continue to suffer, mutilate her body and just maybe blow her own head off at which point you can all put up your "party" emoticons because you were right. Whoo-hoo! Thanks for the guidance.

Yes, you're dramatic. You're also part of the problem.

Learn the difference between what is a signature line and what is actually said to you.

You're welcome. Get that kid into therapy. NOW.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I've had her in therapy for several years.
And in all those years, the therapist has not reported to CPS and CPS has not found ANYTHING wrong with dad's home to spark removal? Sorry but I am not seeing where you have a case. What you have a is a spoiled child who is being allowed to act that way by a mother who doesn't comprehend reality. You have no evidence of ANYTHING -- if dad did half of those things and child reported it to the therapist, the therapist would have been MANDATED to report it to CPS. Yes that apparently did not happen. And if it did, CPS found NOTHING.

KristenJohnson

CPS has never been involved before

Ill go ahead & give up on my question after this but she has been to a couple of different therapists over the years. To my knowledge, his behavior has never been quite this severe in the past. There is much evidence in the way of his home physically, photos & his own multiple FB postings.
That aside, my daughter has multiple scars & a 4 page letter that was the saddest, scariest thing I've read.
CPS hasn't completed their investigation as of yet. It wasn't my idea to call..the County called them. Therapy has been thru Kaiser, who has a policy as a provider to not supply court letters, period. I wouldn't come on a forum when I am serious about advice & lie. It's pointless plus I know how ruthless all of you are. I did it in hopes of that 1 qualified, helpful person who may be reading that is actually interested in assisting w the question at hand; not just judging, being rude & showing off for their fellow members. I need help w/ preparing a document; not insults

Thanks

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ill go ahead & give up on my question after this but she has been to a couple of different therapists over the years. To my knowledge, his behavior has never been quite this severe in the past. There is much evidence in the way of his home physically, photos & his own multiple FB postings.
That aside, my daughter has multiple scars & a 4 page letter that was the saddest, scariest thing I've read.
CPS hasn't completed their investigation as of yet. It wasn't my idea to call..the County called them. Therapy has been thru Kaiser, who has a policy as a provider to not supply court letters, period. I wouldn't come on a forum when I am serious about advice & lie. It's pointless plus I know how ruthless all of you are. I did it in hopes of that 1 qualified, helpful person who may be reading that is actually interested in assisting w the question at hand; not just judging, being rude & showing off for their fellow members. I need help w/ preparing a document; not insults

Thanks
Let me type slowly: Therapists are MANDATED reporters. If the therapist heard ANYTHING about abuse or neglect that was concerning, they would be mandated by LAW to report it to CPS. The fact that Kaiser doesn't like to get involved in court does NOT mean their therapists can IGNORE the law.

Again, get an attorney. You need to comprehend reality. That is TRUTH and NOT an insult.

Eekamouse

You and your daughter totally egg each other on. Why else would daughter dear have called you to let you know daddy forgot his phone and goody, mom, here is your chance to steal it and go through it? You egg her on in all her puberty fueled angst. She probably doesn't want to live with daddy because he doesn't cater to her the way mommy does and make a big deal out of her teenager temper fits. The more you feed into her b.s., the more she's going to act out because that's how she can get what she wants. You should be working with dad instead of against him. Your kid is playing a game with you but it's one you taught her to play. JMO.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">