• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

filing false dv

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hippienonam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. Me and my boyfriend got into an argument. It was loud as i was yelling and throwing his things in the drive way. He walked away. I went after him and fell over the stuff i'd thrown in the drive way. Someone called the cops. When they got here i told them there was no reason for them to be here. The cop kept asking questions and talking. I ended up telling him my boyfriend had pushed me. Now my boyfriend has been charged with dv. What do i do?

Hippienonam

Filing false dv

Not replying but adding. I put money on his books and just learned i wasnt supposed to do that. What will happen?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can try telling them you lied, but expect them not to believe you because many DV victims recant.

If they do actually believe you, you can expect your own legal problems as a result.

Maybe he'll get lucky and they choose not to proceed.

Hopefully, he now considers you his ex-g/f.

p.s. You might consider some therapy to find ways to manage your anger.

Hippienonam

Filing false dv

I guess it's OK to judge. Maybe I should have mentioned just what got the crap started. I realize what I did was totally messed up and am trying every thing to try to fix the situation. I am not his x g/f. We both need therapy for dealing with our anger. Thanks for your reply.

CdwJava

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington. Me and my boyfriend got into an argument. It was loud as i was yelling and throwing his things in the drive way. He walked away. I went after him and fell over the stuff i'd thrown in the drive way.
You "fell" over stuff inth e driveway ... okaaaay ...

Were you drunk or high? See, most people do not simply fall over "stuff" they have thrown. I have my doubts about the veracity of that tale, and I suspect a prosecutor and a court will have suspicions, too. MANY DV victims (in the realm of 75%) will take extraordinary steps to protect their abusers, including lying to the police or the court. This is why the courts often do not consider a recanting DV victim to be all that credible. But, different courts have different practices when it comes to DV matters with recanting victims. Some allow you to sign a waiver and they drop the matter, others might consider pursuing you for a false report, and still others might simply decline to prosecute. But, if you WERE assaulted, and you drop the matter by claiming you lied, that can impact future reports by damaging your credibility to the point where he might be able to leverage that against you in the future.

Someone called the cops. When they got here i told them there was no reason for them to be here. The cop kept asking questions and talking. I ended up telling him my boyfriend had pushed me. Now my boyfriend has been charged with dv. What do i do?
When subpoenaed to court you tell the truth. Not the truth as you'd like it to be or as he wants it to be, but the truth.

Eekamouse

I guess it's OK to judge. Maybe I should have mentioned just what got the crap started. I realize what I did was totally messed up and am trying every thing to try to fix the situation. I am not his x g/f. We both need therapy for dealing with our anger. Thanks for your reply.
If he is smart, you'll soon be his ex-girlfriend because he'd be crazy to stay with a vindictive liar like you. The only person who made you lie to the cops was you. Now you get to watch him pay the price.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">