• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Georgia DFCS "neglect" guidelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redleg17

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

Does anyone know the Georgia DFCS guidlines on leaving a child unattended and "neglect"? The situation in question concerns leaving a 10 and 14 year-old under the supervision of a 15 year-old for 15 minutes in their own home.

Antigone*

Does anyone know the Georgia DFCS guidlines on leaving a child unattended and "neglect"? The situation in question concerns leaving a 10 and 14 year-old under the supervision of a 15 year-old for 15 minutes in their own home.
What you describe does not come anywhere to close to leaving a child unattended or neglecting them.

Just Blue

I can safely state that would not be "neglect" in ANY STATE.

redleg17

You would think not, and considering that they take that long to walk to the bus in the morning, It seems crazy, but the officers are as I type, outside on the phone with DFCS, doing a neglect referral.

As background: they are not here investigating that. We had previously had to talk to a 16 year-old boy's parents about his spending time with my wife's 14 year-old daughter and made it clear that he was not to contact her or spend any time around her. After grounding her for a month for her indiscretion in messing with the older boy, we gave her laptop back with a spy program installed that made a screenshot every 15 seconds. The boy, now 17 was just arrested 10 minutes ago because his suggestive text messages admitted to him performing oral sex with her and for attempted indecent acts with a minor for trying to get her to come out of the house to give him a blowjob while my wife was driving a few blocks down the road to get the kids icecream. (The 15 minutes)

The problem is, the PD is convinced that GA law prohibits leaving a 15 year-old alone for any period of time ... hence the DFCS call. I mean, "neglect" would have been knowing the behavior was happening and doing nothing, but we found out about it and called the PD :(

Gracie3787

You would think not, and considering that they take that long to walk to the bus in the morning, It seems crazy, but the officers are as I type, outside on the phone with DFCS, doing a neglect referral.

As background: they are not here investigating that. We had previously had to talk to a 16 year-old boy's parents about his spending time with my wife's 14 year-old daughter and made it clear that he was not to contact her or spend any time around her. After grounding her for a month for her indiscretion in messing with the older boy, we gave her laptop back with a spy program installed that made a screenshot every 15 seconds. The boy, now 17 was just arrested 10 minutes ago because his suggestive text messages admitted to him performing oral sex with her and for attempted indecent acts with a minor for trying to get her to come out of the house to give him a blowjob while my wife was driving a few blocks down the road to get the kids icecream. (The 15 minutes)

The problem is, the PD is convinced that GA law prohibits leaving a 15 year-old alone for any period of time ... hence the DFCS call. I mean, "neglect" would have been knowing the behavior was happening and doing nothing, but we found out about it and called the PD :(
For now, wait to see what the DFCS caseworker says.
If for some reason the caseworker appears to be thinking that neglect has happened, get a consult with a local attorney ASAP.

redleg17

PD dropped the referral. Their patrol supervisor showed up listened to them for about 15 seconds and said "are you f'ing kidding me?".

He said that even under the DFCS guidelines, we could have left them with the 15 year-old supervising for several hours and still been ok.

Proserpina

PD dropped the referral. Their patrol supervisor showed up listened to them for about 15 seconds and said "are you f'ing kidding me?".

He said that even under the DFCS guidelines, we could have left them with the 15 year-old supervising for several hours and still been ok.

That IS good news :)

On a totally non-legal note. I give HUGE KUDOS for following through on making sure your step-daughter is safe and not taking the easy way out!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">