• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting Kicked Out At 16?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hyperion2

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Long story short my Dad kicked me out for calling my step Mom a name, and for eating Ramen noodle in my room... I'm 16 years old, and I know that's illegal... So I have a few questions... (He's since let me back but's making me pay for the high speed internet, even though my Step Mom uses it for work... lol. Oh well, I know that's legal.)

1. What kind of charges could he face for that? He's hit me before, and recently has threatened me with physical violence.

2. Several things I use and have in my room belong to my friends... My PC, Monitor, Mouse, two Subwoofers, and an expensive graphics card belong to four other people... I asked my Dad for them and he said that he paid for them so he won't give them back without proof of a receipt.

3. When he kicked me out, he kept saying how if I took anything, he'd call the police and have me arrested... I know he can have them come and arrest me, and at least detain me until he gets home, but can he have them keep me there indefinitely? If so, how much is Juvenile Hall on average???

Edit*** If my Dad wouldn't give my friends parents their things back, would the police be able to make my Dad give them back, or would the police take my Dad's word over my friends parents?

Before you guys go off thinking I'm some kind of bad kid, I'm really not... I've never been arrested, never been suspended, and rarely if ever break the law... My Step-Mom twists the small things I do into big things and makes my Dad go postal...

Thank you for the help

Last edited:

BL

Do I detect rebellion ?

Yes a councilor would be good to talk to .

For the legal stuff , get over it .

If fighting against Dad and step mom is your goal , you won't win .

If the Friend's parents want their stuff back bad enough , they would have called the police a long time ago , with proof it's theirs .

Then poor poor you ...

Hyperion2

Now see, this was what I was afraid of... Alls I came here for was advice, and you people act like I'm the bad guy, or some delinquent. I love being at home, and I love my sister and Dad. I don't want to move out for a while, let alone get kicked out...

More Over, fighting them is not my goal. Living in an environment where I feel safe and welcome is my goal... After that, I don't think a few personal effects, of which aren't even really mine, is too much to ask for... Do you?

BL

Then maybe your Dad would like your to respect the new love of his life .

Live and learn .

Be a little more aware of where the legal boundaries are , and more so of the moral ones .

Learn to compromise , but you will not rule .

Hyperion2

Interesting take BL... Who said I didn't respect the new love of his life? I do. We get along fine, but if I leave crumbs on the damn table, or don't bring my clothes down every single day, she throws a fit and such. I have come here to learn such legal boundaries although and explanation or example of one of these boundaries seems rather hard to come by...
And to you Ginny I must apologize... I knew curfew was 12AM that night, but I walked home anyway. Gee, how WRONG OF ME.
Back to BL... Compromise is a great thing. I've tried that so many times. I don't know if I mentioned how I'm now forced to pay for the high speed internet now, but I'm not the only one who uses it... It's in fact essential to my Step Mom's work, and I don't think it's right that I bear the full burden of it... Now half I would be willing to do, but all? I think not... In order for two parties to compromise with one another they have to both be on equal playing fields, and in my home this is an impossibility.

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, I take it that your laundry contributes to expenses of electricity, water, detergent, fabric softner, etc. Shall they nickel and dime you for all your expenses, or just pick one that someone, who shall remain nameless, probably uses the most.

You see, I've survived 4 teenagers, with my last one getting there.

We all KNOW what the rules are, but sometimes, just sometimes, there is someone who keeps pushing buttons till parents reach the end of their rope.

Dad's trying to teach you responsibility. If all you have to do is pay for high-speed internet, you are getting off pretty cheap.

CourtClerk

Interesting take BL... Who said I didn't respect the new love of his life? I do.
Not if
Dad kicked me out for calling my step Mom a name
That doesn't show respect at all for the people responsible for paying for the roof over your head.
We get along fine, but if I leave crumbs on the damn table, or don't bring my clothes down every single day, she throws a fit and such.
You're damn right. Pick up your crap and clean up after yourself. Simple rules of life even my son younger than you know.
I have come here to learn such legal boundaries although and explanation or example of one of these boundaries seems rather hard to come by...
And to you Ginny I must apologize... I knew curfew was 12AM that night, but I walked home anyway. Gee, how WRONG OF ME.
You are to be in at 12AM, not 12:01, not 12:02.
Back to BL... Compromise is a great thing.
I don't have to compromise with ANYONE I pay for. It's MY house and it goes MY way. Period.
I've tried that so many times. I don't know if I mentioned how I'm now forced to pay for the high speed internet now, but I'm not the only one who uses it...
Your dad and step mother aren't the only ones that use the water, but they have to pay for it. How about the lights or the food? If you have the means to pay for the internet connection, then you pay for it. I know... you don't WANT to be responsible, but it is their job to MAKE you responsible.
It's in fact essential to my Step Mom's work, and I don't think it's right that I bear the full burden of it...
Your opinion doesn't matter. You are a child.
Now half I would be willing to do, but all? I think not...
They think so, and as I have already stated, your opinion and thoughts do not matter, nor were they asked for.
In order for two parties to compromise with one another they have to both be on equal playing fields, and in my home this is an impossibility.
However, you CANNOT be on an equal playing field with 2 adults BECAUSE... you don't have the means to support yourself. You do not have the means to help them pay the mortgage, the car payments, the bills, insurance for yourself, etc. So, try being what you are... a child who needs to follow the rules of the house.

Last edited by a moderator:

BL

You are 16 , learn to pick up after yourself .

Perhaps your step mom is doing your laundry and wishes it to be ready to do ( on her time ) ? Ahh ? Not too much to ask of either .

Internet fee ?

Well maybe since you pitched a fit , they may want to teach you a learning lesson , after all , you're using Friends hardware , and want Internet .

This is not a necessity for you , but rather otherwise .

Great learning tool , I'd say .

TinkerBelleLuvr

My children ALWAYS knew when I was over the top mad. The keyboard might be in my car. Modems. The mouse. Have my ways of disabling the internet :D:D:D And since they couldn't google to figure out what I did, it stayed OFF till I got home. :p:p

Power of the car keys.

Grounds.

Cleaning the floors on hands and knees.

Doing the laundry for all 8 people in the house cuz they disregarded the request for clothes.

Trust me ... your dad is being real tame.

BL

My children ALWAYS knew when I was over the top mad. The keyboard might be in my car. Modems. The mouse. Have my ways of disabling the internet :D:D:D And since they couldn't google to figure out what I did, it stayed OFF till I got home. :p:p

Power of the car keys.

Grounds.

Cleaning the floors on hands and knees.

Doing the laundry for all 8 people in the house cuz they disregarded the request for clothes.

Trust me ... your dad is being real tame.
LOL . teens today ...

My late Dad , would always say stand on your own two feet ( and discipline was old school ), and Mom ( you knew what the limit was ) , just by the glare .

Although it was funny , most of our first names end with Y . Wow a laugh .. That would even tick er off worse .:)

Ya don't like it , tough !! learn to live with it .

Dear BL,

Hyperion2 has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - Getting Kicked Out At 16? - in the Domestic Violence & Abuse forum of FreeAdvice Legal Forum.

This thread is located at:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/domestic-violence-abuse-38/getting-kicked-out-16-a-425957-new-post.html

Here is the message that has just been posted:
My my BL, quite the zealot aren't we?

Apparently our definitions of respect differ... I respect ALL of my friends more than my family, and we call each other worse things than I'd ever call her... So apparently, respect can be present despite name calling.

I do clean up my messes most of the time, even go out of my way to do chores for her. She appears to be a very cynical person and likes to focus on the things I don't do.

Also, explain to me how my statement "Compromise is a Great Thing" ties into me compromising with my Dad and Step Mom? Children are capable of thinking, BL, and though it may surprise you, Moms & Dads may not always be right in thier actions... Perhaps at least listening, not necessarily acting on, their input would do all parents some good?

I don't have the means of paying for it, lol. I'm working on finding a job althought in my state it's a damn near impossibility. Besides, I'm getting my PC out of here along with the other things I mentioned and telling my low-life Dad to go f**k himself.

And now my opinion doesn't matter??? What's you logic? Oh, because I'm a child... Hmm, great logic... Let's try that in another form... YourOpinion Doesn't Matter. You're Black. Youropinion doesn't matter. Your a woman. Great logic sunshine, you just keep it coming!

So I don't have the means to support myself, eh? Of course I do, teenager, adult, we all have the drive within us to work out @$$ off to pay the bills. I don't have to right now, so why should I? If my Dad really did kick me out, an hour later I'd be going door to door asking for odd jobs, asking to cut grass... The next I'd apply at every business in my town until they told me to stop or gave me a job. While I may not have the financial means, I have the means of getting a way to support myself.
Go tell your Dad , good luck to you ....don't go crying back now - for anything .

Last edited:

Hyperion2

My my BL, quite the zealot aren't we?

Apparently our definitions of respect differ... I respect ALL of my friends more than my family, and we call each other worse things than I'd ever call her... So apparently, respect can be present despite name calling.

I do clean up my messes most of the time, even go out of my way to do chores for her. She appears to be a very cynical person and likes to focus on the things I don't do.

Also, explain to me how my statement "Compromise is a Great Thing" ties into me compromising with my Dad and Step Mom? Children are capable of thinking, BL, and though it may surprise you, Moms & Dads may not always be right in thier actions... Perhaps at least listening, not necessarily acting on, their input would do all parents some good?

I don't have the means of paying for it, lol. I'm working on finding a job althought in my state it's a damn near impossibility. Besides, I'm getting my PC out of here along with the other things I mentioned and telling my low-life Dad to go f**k himself.

And now my opinion doesn't matter??? What's you logic? Oh, because I'm a child... Hmm, great logic... Let's try that in another form... Your Opinion Doesn't Matter. You're Black. Your opinion doesn't matter. You're a woman. Great logic sunshine, you just keep it coming!

So I don't have the means to support myself, eh? Of course I do, teenager, adult, we all have the drive within us to work out @$$ off to pay the bills. I don't have to right now, so why should I? If my Dad really did kick me out, an hour later I'd be going door to door asking for odd jobs, asking to cut grass... The next I'd apply at every business in my town until they told me to stop or gave me a job. While I may not have the financial means, I have the means of getting a way to support myself.

Ah, and the grand daddy of them all... Justify my father kicking me out of the house. Using Morals, and Laws instead of your insipid "You're a child" or "You broke some rules" or "Tough!"... If there's logic in that decision, I would love to see it.

Last edited:

Hyperion2

No rebutle? I know I come off as temperamental, which I am... Working on that... Even got a book for it - "Controlling Your Anger Before It Controls You". But you didn't have any supportive points at all. I'm not saying you're a bad parent, I'm saying that if you're going to ridicule me for the things I say, you had better be damn ready to back your statements.
It's the internet, I'm not your Kid and you can't just tell me to shut up or I'm grounded. Defend yourself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">