• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting an Order of Protection Against Husband's Ex-Wife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeanine

In NY. My husband's ex-wife is a wacko. She recently drove past our house when we were supposed to be away (actually she stopped and looked around without leaving the vehicle and then slowly drove by checking things out. When she saw my husband at the front door she took off in a hurry.)

A change in circumstances had us home, so we both caught her in the act. I don't know what she was planning, but I am nervous that I will come home with a brick through my window or have my mail stolen. I called the police, but they couldn't do anything without an order of protection. Can I get one to prevent her from driving past my house. She hasn't threatened us - YET. She has proven to be a very distrubed woman as she has been divorced for 8 years and still harbors noticeable resentment towards my husband.

And if I file one against her, can she turn around and do the same to me even though I never go near her residence or even the vicinty. She is a compulsive liar and I don't want to open Pandora's Box since they have a child together. I just don't want to have to worry about my house when I am not home or that she is doing something criminal (after being thrown out of her marital residence prior to the divorce, she STOLE everything and trashed the place - so she's not what one would call a model citizen!)

LegalBeagle

jeanine said:
In NY. My husband's ex-wife is a wacko. She recently drove past our house when we were supposed to be away (actually she stopped and looked around without leaving the vehicle and then slowly drove by checking things out. When she saw my husband at the front door she took off in a hurry.)

A change in circumstances had us home, so we both caught her in the act. I don't know what she was planning, but I am nervous that I will come home with a brick through my window or have my mail stolen. I called the police, but they couldn't do anything without an order of protection. Can I get one to prevent her from driving past my house. She hasn't threatened us - YET. She has proven to be a very distrubed woman as she has been divorced for 8 years and still harbors noticeable resentment towards my husband.

And if I file one against her, can she turn around and do the same to me even though I never go near her residence or even the vicinty. She is a compulsive liar and I don't want to open Pandora's Box since they have a child together. I just don't want to have to worry about my house when I am not home or that she is doing something criminal (after being thrown out of her marital residence prior to the divorce, she STOLE everything and trashed the place - so she's not what one would call a model citizen!)
With the details given, there is currently nothing legally you can do.. sorry..

C

civilavicate

I agree,

What you might want to do, is send a letter via certifyed mail, to the x-wife, in a very tackful way request that she limit her contact with your husband and yourself and your home, to only issues concerning her child, via visitation etc, that it would be in her best intreast not to arrive at your home uninvited. That this is a courtesy letter in hopes to resolve this matter, however if your request are not respected you may have to prusue this matter into court. Then file a copy of the letter with your attny, and advise them of what is going on, this way it will be on record that you have informed her of your concerns, have you husband sign this as well. (You may want to have your attny write this letter, so that the message is clear to her to stop the unwanted visits, also it will prove as evidence if her conduct becomes worse, and you end up taking this to court. Hope I helped.

I am not liable for how my advise is used, this is only my expressed opinion base on the information givin.

jeanine

This is actually the second time she stopped at our house. Last summer she actually walked on the property. How is it that I can't prevent someone I don't want on my property from coming on my property or even near my car parked on the street. I find it hard to believe, but I will take your advice and have a letter drafted. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">