• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

GF Threatening to call the police on me, saying I am cutting her. What to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boncovi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Ok, me and my girlfriend live together and can't get along lately.

We had an argument over something stupid last night and it turned into something like "you will do it", "no I won't". Then she says, if you don't i will call 911 and tell them you're beating me.

Even more, she picked up a knife to cut herself then call the police to say I'm cutting her.

I took it easy and ended the discussion.

I definitely want her out of the house. We rented the house together and share everything 50/50, but I am on the contract and all bills. Also, as far as I know, in NJ, you should have a reason to evict somebody, correct? It's a 6-unit apartment building in urban area.

Also, I want to do something to let the police know that something like this happened and she threatened me this way. Just in case, this crazy stuff happens again, I don't want to be charged for domestic violence.

What are the proper steps to take?

Thank you

boncovi

Thank you for the advices. It is indeed wise to leave until the situation is resolved.

Let me make one thing straight; I am the lessee and only my name is on the contract. She doesn't exist on any paperwork.

To keep myself safe, it is smart to leave the house now, but I'm not giving her the apartment.

What is the proper procedure for evicting her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">