• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandy Jury...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

st-kitts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My husband of 11 years was charged with simple battery, false imprisonment and cruelty to children (child as witness to assault on me) recently after an incident at our home. Two of the charges are felonies. I have been asked for a "victim impact" statement and whether I would consent to charges being dropped in return for specific classes. It does not state the charges will be dropped, just if it is offered would I consent. I have been also been informed that the charges/case somehow go before a grand jury. I have a temporary divorce decree and protective order... I am not sure I want to provide a victim impact statement but I would certainly prefer he not have any felony charges as his future job prospects (he has advanced degree) will suffer. Do you think I need to fill out that victim impact statement and at least state my preferences.... It is such a personal issue I prefer not to discuss it unless I am supoenaed, but maybe I am missing an opportunity to at least try to have some charges reduced... And what can I expect from this grand jury thing...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So it's okay with you to be assaulted by your husband and to have your children witness that action? Wow.

st-kitts

Insults in lieu of advice?

Gosh, I had hoped for free legal advice, given the name of the website. I hadn't expected an insult. If your insult was intended to be hurtful, good job! It worked! And I am not sure where you gather anything in the situation is or was "OK" with me. Last I checked, you don't normally call the police when you are "OK."

To clarify my initial post, the question about my willingness to have charges dropped if my ex completes counseling was posed to me by the district attorney's office (the prosecution) not the defense.

If anyone has any real knowledge of the grand jury process and what I might expect, and also how a victim impact statement is used, I would love real answers.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Gosh, I had hoped for free legal advice, given the name of the website. I hadn't expected an insult. If your insult was intended to be hurtful, good job! It worked! And I am not sure where you gather anything in the situation is or was "OK" with me. Last I checked, you don't normally call the police when you are "OK."

To clarify my initial post, the question about my willingness to have charges dropped if my ex completes counseling was posed to me by the district attorney's office (the prosecution) not the defense.

If anyone has any real knowledge of the grand jury process and what I might expect, and also how a victim impact statement is used, I would love real answers.
No, it wasn't an insult. I am truly always shocked when a victim chooses to let her abuser off the hook. Because it harms every other DV victim by causing others to take abuse reports less seriously.

Additionally, letting him off the hook DOES send your children the message that it's OK to beat someone else up. That messes with kids' minds, and often causes them to seek out a partner just like the abuser. That's a terrible thing to do to your child. So yes, it astounds me each and every time I read one of these posts. Sorry that that hurts your feelings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">