• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

grounds for harassment filing or abuse charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

anonomouse

What is the name of your state? CA

I am a third party only but need to know..There is a situation where parents are divorced and the parents have joint custody. The kids are 13 and under. The oldest kid does not wish to live with one parent as that parent has on occasions called the police on him "to scare" him into obeying that parent. That same parent has called the police on a few occasions to have the kids picked up from the other parents house to what appears to be out of spite. It is frustrating to see the kids go through such turmoil and to see the kids scared everytime the police comes to their door. I really believe the kids are depressed and very nervous all the time. Is there some remedy to prevent the one parent from using the police as that parents way of getting even or way of forcing the kids to respect that parent? The kids are great kids and not trouble makers or undisciplined. The only fault they may have is that they are more attached to the other parent. Is calling the police all the time consitute mental abuse? Can harassment charges be filed? How can the kids be protected?

H

hexeliebe

This is not an issue within the family court system. This is an issue between the calling parent and the police. I would suspect the police department has a policy that will require them to respond but in so doing, they will eventually get very tired of acting like the third parent.

If you are a third-party all you can do is advise the other parent (the one not calling) to discuss the situation with the children and let them know that it's an issue between the adults and has nothing to do with them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">