• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grounds for a restraining order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chelsea_O

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

So, I started dating this girl towards the end of my freshman year, she was a senior at my high school. We were in a very serious relationship for two and a half years. As of July of this past summer she left me for another girl. For the next three months there was no form of contact between the two of us. The new girlfriend was a bad influence on her and she lost her job, her apartment, her car, and she couldn't afford to pay for school anymore. Eventually the new girlfriend left her for someone else (karma). So now my ex is trying to get back with me. October 29th was the first time she contacted me by showing up at my door one day and asking for my engagement ring back. Since that day she has contacted me though email, xanga, myspace, in person, through other people, over the phone, and any other way she can think of. I have blocked every address she uses to contact me, but she creates another account. I have blocked every phone number, but she uses a different number every single time. I am about to get my number changed. Since October 29th I have recorded every incident of contact with a date and description in an online blog. I don't know how she got my number but some of our mutual friends reported her contacting them trying to get my number from them. She even has gone so far as to create fake accounts with fake names and pictures to try to become my friend on myspace and xanga. She's even sent other people to my house or at school to try to talk to me about giving her another chance. She contacts me every single day through some form, sometimes up to four or five times a day, mostly though email and text message. I have made it perfectly clear that I don't want her back, but she's only gotten more persistent. Is this harassment? Do I have grounds for a restraining order?

Last edited:

sicktomystomach

protective order

in new jersey you would have grounds for a restraining order as it meets one of the fourteen elements. In jersey it would go with harrassing and depending on how bad she is coming around stalking? new jersey takes no chances and no form of domestic violence is down played if anything its an over kill!! go to your local P.D. and they can assist you with obtaining your order. good luck

seniorjudge

Q: Is this harassment? Do I have grounds for a restraining order?

A: Yes and maybe.

http://www.womenslaw.org/laws_state_type.php?statelaw_name=Restraining%20Orders&state_code=TX

http://law.justia.com/texas/codes/fa/004.00.000082.00.html

Silverplum

in new jersey you would have grounds for a restraining order as it meets one of the fourteen elements. In jersey it would go with harrassing and depending on how bad she is coming around stalking? new jersey takes no chances and no form of domestic violence is down played if anything its an over kill!! go to your local P.D. and they can assist you with obtaining your order. good luck
Why would this poster be interested in New Jersey info?? S/He's posting from TEXAS.

Don't mix up states. If you're here to ASK a question, you likely aren't qualified to ANSWER a question.

seniorjudge

What does this have to do with Texas law? :confused:

sicktomystomach

sorry to offend so many experts

working as a police officer knowing the in and outs of most protective orders or restraining orders I was giving common sense advice, the person here feels threatened and is concerned for their safety. any police department worth their weight could help this person out. Sorry and I will keep my thoughts to myself. :cool:

Just Blue

working as a police officer knowing the in and outs of most protective orders or restraining orders I was giving common sense advice, the person here feels threatened and is concerned for their safety. any police department worth their weight could help this person out. Sorry and I will keep my thoughts to myself. :cool:
As this is a Legal Forum, the answers should be based on state stat's and case law for OP's state.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
That is nice but COMPLETELY irrelevant as the OP is in Texas. Texas is NOT New Jersey.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">