• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

He claims she owes him.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thekingof7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I'll cut to the chase. My girlfriend split up with an emotionally and physically abusive boyfriend and little less than a year ago. She moved out, and took most of her things, but he kept several possessions she payed for (furniture, plasma tv, etc). My girlfriend's mother also fed him for 2 years nearly everyday, essentially providing for him. He has had a summons served to her, claiming she owes several thousand due to her signing a napkin claiming she will pay him back. This was signed under duress, and I doubt its dated or there are witnesses. Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation? Or advice as to a smart course of action? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Proserpina

I'll cut to the chase. My girlfriend split up with an emotionally and physically abusive boyfriend and little less than a year ago. She moved out, and took most of her things, but he kept several possessions she payed for (furniture, plasma tv, etc). My girlfriend's mother also fed him for 2 years nearly everyday, essentially providing for him. He has had a summons served to her, claiming she owes several thousand due to her signing a napkin claiming she will pay him back. This was signed under duress, and I doubt its dated or there are witnesses. Does anyone have any thoughts on the situation? Or advice as to a smart course of action? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Have her speak with an attorney. Proving duress is not an easy task.

BL

Did you watch street court last week ? :D

The furniture .

No promissory note ,not even on a napkin .

LdiJ

You can bet not...but ask the attorney.
Lots of attorneys give free, (think 30 minutes) or low cost initial consults. Otherwise, how could someone ever interview an attorney to determine if they wanted to hire them?

LdiJ

What was the "napkin signing" for? What did it cover?

If she can prove that she paid for the items she couldn't retrieve, then she can counter sue for those.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">