• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help! I need to protect my children from their abusive father!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SP7589

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My ex is the father of my 2 children. We were never married. He was extremely abusive, manipulative, and I am scared of him. He made me leave all of my friends and tried to keep me away from my family. He refused to loet me go back to work after the birth of our son, out of the "fear" I would get hit on by other guys or I'd find someone else. Point is, I didn't work so he paid all the bills.
While I was pregnant with my daughter, he beat me in our bathroom causing me to drive myself to the hospital to check a large painful knot in my neck looked at. He had beat me in the stomach as well, so they ended up keeping me the entire night. I filed a report and had a temp. restraining order placed against him. He agreed to seek counceling, so the charges were dropped. I do not know if he sought help or not.
Well, last month, we had an argument and he wrapped a belt around my throat and strangled me until I passed out. I didn't go to the authorities, but grabbed my kids and left first chance I had.
Now, he has always threatened me, saying he would kill me or himself, even as far as saying he'd kill my parents dog. (Prized German Shephard) Since I left, he has threatened to kill me, myself, and has told me that he thinks it's possible he could kill the kids because he knows that's the only way he can get my attention. His exact words, "All it would take was one time. One visitation is all it would take and you'd never know any better."
Two weeks ago, He wanted the kids for the night (before the statement was made about him only needing one visitiation...) He came and picked them up and then told me he was going to take them out of state so I'd never see them again. I struggled to get to my kids, and the police were called and another report was filed, although the police could do nothing because we had no written agreement for visitation. He had hit me and kicked me, so a domestic assault report was written as well.
This morning I woke up to him standing over my bed at my parents house. He says the backdoor was unlocked, and I cant prove if it was or not, but he let himself in after me telling him numberous times he was not welcome here. I was scared to death to wake up to him standing over me.
I am scared of him. I am scared he will kill me or my kids. He keeps threatening me over and over... I want to get away from him. I am scared if I don't, my children will grow up thinking the abuse is normal and "okay." My son has seen him hit me too many times too many!
He has, in a fit of rage, kicked my son (who wasn't even 18 months at the time) out of his way as he stormed through the house. He's never actually hurt my daughter, but he has threatened to do so, as well as my son.
What rights do I have to protect myself and my children? Can I file something to have custody completely taken away from him? It's the last thing I wanted to do, but he is not stable and he could seriously hurt them and not think twice about it. What about moving out of state, do I have to have written permission from him to move out of state? I feel I'm unsafe here and the only other place I have I can go is in another state... HELP!!!

bononos

SP7589 said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

My ex is the father of my 2 children. We were never married. He was extremely abusive, manipulative, and I am scared of him. He made me leave all of my friends and tried to keep me away from my family. He refused to loet me go back to work after the birth of our son, out of the "fear" I would get hit on by other guys or I'd find someone else. Point is, I didn't work so he paid all the bills.
While I was pregnant with my daughter, he beat me in our bathroom causing me to drive myself to the hospital to check a large painful knot in my neck looked at. He had beat me in the stomach as well, so they ended up keeping me the entire night. I filed a report and had a temp. restraining order placed against him. He agreed to seek counceling, so the charges were dropped. I do not know if he sought help or not.
Well, last month, we had an argument and he wrapped a belt around my throat and strangled me until I passed out. I didn't go to the authorities, but grabbed my kids and left first chance I had.
Now, he has always threatened me, saying he would kill me or himself, even as far as saying he'd kill my parents dog. (Prized German Shephard) Since I left, he has threatened to kill me, myself, and has told me that he thinks it's possible he could kill the kids because he knows that's the only way he can get my attention. His exact words, "All it would take was one time. One visitation is all it would take and you'd never know any better."
Two weeks ago, He wanted the kids for the night (before the statement was made about him only needing one visitiation...) He came and picked them up and then told me he was going to take them out of state so I'd never see them again. I struggled to get to my kids, and the police were called and another report was filed, although the police could do nothing because we had no written agreement for visitation. He had hit me and kicked me, so a domestic assault report was written as well.
This morning I woke up to him standing over my bed at my parents house. He says the backdoor was unlocked, and I cant prove if it was or not, but he let himself in after me telling him numberous times he was not welcome here. I was scared to death to wake up to him standing over me.
I am scared of him. I am scared he will kill me or my kids. He keeps threatening me over and over... I want to get away from him. I am scared if I don't, my children will grow up thinking the abuse is normal and "okay." My son has seen him hit me too many times too many!
He has, in a fit of rage, kicked my son (who wasn't even 18 months at the time) out of his way as he stormed through the house. He's never actually hurt my daughter, but he has threatened to do so, as well as my son.
What rights do I have to protect myself and my children? Can I file something to have custody completely taken away from him? It's the last thing I wanted to do, but he is not stable and he could seriously hurt them and not think twice about it. What about moving out of state, do I have to have written permission from him to move out of state? I feel I'm unsafe here and the only other place I have I can go is in another state... HELP!!!
Take the kids and RUN to a shelter in your state.
They can help with a roof, food, counseling.
They can lead you in what you need to do.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
That's the best advice you can get. I hope you called the cops on him each and every time - including when he broke into your parents' home.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">