• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help - I'm being stalked by an ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Katmoulder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in the United Kingdom.

I was in a relationship with a guy last year for 4 months but we broke up and then I started seeing someone else. However, since then, the first guy texts me once or twice a month when I've asked him never to speak to me again, sends emails to my boyfriend with faked evidence such as emails and copies of texts to try and pretend me and him are still sleeping together, and sends messages to my facebook friends (I'm no longer friends with him but he knows people I know) to try and convince them I'm cheating with him.

He also creates me fake online dating profiles and gives my address out to strange men, who then knock on my door expecting a date. I've text him and asked him to leave me alone repeatedly, but he won't. He says one or two texts a month isn't enough to be classed as stalking, and if I get a no-contact order, he won't breach it because he'll contact my boyfriend and friends instead.

How can I get this guy out of my life, and make him stop contacting anyone around me, or using my personal details like address and photos on websites? What laws is he breaking - I need to threaten him with police action but I don't know what the police can do. Please help with advice.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in the United Kingdom.

I was in a relationship with a guy last year for 4 months but we broke up and then I started seeing someone else. However, since then, the first guy texts me once or twice a month when I've asked him never to speak to me again, sends emails to my boyfriend with faked evidence such as emails and copies of texts to try and pretend me and him are still sleeping together, and sends messages to my facebook friends (I'm no longer friends with him but he knows people I know) to try and convince them I'm cheating with him.

He also creates me fake online dating profiles and gives my address out to strange men, who then knock on my door expecting a date. I've text him and asked him to leave me alone repeatedly, but he won't. He says one or two texts a month isn't enough to be classed as stalking, and if I get a no-contact order, he won't breach it because he'll contact my boyfriend and friends instead.

How can I get this guy out of my life, and make him stop contacting anyone around me, or using my personal details like address and photos on websites? What laws is he breaking - I need to threaten him with police action but I don't know what the police can do. Please help with advice.

Sorry, this site is for US law only.
I will point out that, in the US, if you have a protective order against him, contacting your friends can very well be considered a violation of said order.

Contact your local courts to see if there are any self-help resources. Most courts here have such resources.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">