• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help An officer went out of county to press charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jade1101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? KY

My 16 year old step daughter and I had gotten into a fight and she called the social workers and told her I had hit her and left bruises on her, my other children and everyone else had seen there was no bruises on her when she had last left the home. She was told to stay with her grandparents and is currently still there, The supervision I had on me with my other children was dropped and the social worker on the case told me they had no further investigation on it but wanted to leave the case open to catch my daughter in her lies. The officer that responded had went to the county attorneys office to file charges and the many accounts that was turned in that my daughter had abused me and said things like she wishes I was dead and I don't deserve to be a mother and had hit me, they seen no reason to press charges. We all was just waiting for them to go and talk to my daughter when I got a phone call saying I had a warrant for my arrest by the same officer in the next county over. Is that legal what am I suppose to do now?

jade1101

Help

I wanted to put in there that the fight was in the vehicle while I was driving and she was screaming at me leaning over the seat and attempted to grab the steering wheel stating she wished she was dead and I would just kill her already. I called the cops on her then stating I was afraid she was going to wreck the vehicle and grab a hold of the steering wheel as my other children were in the vehicle with us.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest that you retain an attorney to contact the police on this matter.

jade1101

Help

I have beed suggested to get one, is it legal for them to file out of my county when the incident didn't have anything to do with the other county?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have beed suggested to get one, is it legal for them to file out of my county when the incident didn't have anything to do with the other county?
Does it matter? Really, even if it is incorrect, you're going to need an attorney to help with this.

jade1101

It all happened in one county and they didn't see any reason to press charges, and the social workers all said that the case was done but wanted to keep it open only to catch my daughter in her lies. They have yet to attempt to talk to her again though. The only one who wanted to press charges was the officer, and he couldn't file in the county that it all took place so he went to the next county over and had the charges pressed there, nothing happened in that county where he went to have the charges placed.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It all happened in one county and they didn't see any reason to press charges, and the social workers all said that the case was done but wanted to keep it open only to catch my daughter in her lies. They have yet to attempt to talk to her again though. The only one who wanted to press charges was the officer, and he couldn't file in the county that it all took place so he went to the next county over and had the charges pressed there, nothing happened in that county where he went to have the charges placed.
Why would your daughter be caught in lies when this is your stepdaughter?
My 16 year old step daughter and I had gotten into a fight
Truthfully you had no right to touch her. Where does your stepdaughter's MOTHER live? Where do the grandparents live? Who has legal custody of the child PER COURT ORDERS?

jade1101

My step daughter and daughter I'm referring to the same 16 year old, Sorry about the confusion. They are the same person, I have never called her my step daughter, that just the legal name for her so that's what I put here.

The social workers said they were going to keep the case open to talk to her one more time as her story has changed twice and they told me they wanted to catch her in the lie of me abusing her.

The officer that was called to the case went to another county that has nothing to do with this case and pressed charges. This county seen no reason for charges to be placed as they seen no case. How was he able to do this, Isn't is illegal?

jade1101

My husbands parents and I share custody of her. They have her. We had gotten into a fight while I was driving and I was afraid she would grab the steering wheel as she was saying she wished I was dead and she wanted to kill herself and she wished I would just kill her already, Said I didn't deserve to be a mother and she was going to make sure of it. I called the police on her as I had my other children in the car and was afraid she was going to wreck us. Then she called cps and told them I had hit her. The cps seen no reason to press anything against me and said they were only keeping the case open to catch her in her lie as her story keeps changing.

I hope that helps you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My step daughter and daughter I'm referring to the same 16 year old, Sorry about the confusion. They are the same person, I have never called her my step daughter, that just the legal name for her so that's what I put here.
She is your stepdaughter then. You have NO LEGAL rights to her nor are you legally allowed to discipline her.

The social workers said they were going to keep the case open to talk to her one more time as her story has changed twice and they told me they wanted to catch her in the lie of me abusing her.
Don't believe that is why they are keeping it open.

The officer that was called to the case went to another county that has nothing to do with this case and pressed charges. This county seen no reason for charges to be placed as they seen no case. How was he able to do this, Isn't is illegal?
Not necessarily since your story seems to be missing some huge facts and you haven't answered my question. However your behavior could be seen as abusive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">