• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to Appeal a Protection Order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

User83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Can someone give me instructions on what I need to do to appeal a protection order? I tried looking for forms online, but couldn't find any. If you know where they are that would be helpful. Thank you.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Can someone give me instructions on what I need to do to appeal a protection order? I tried looking for forms online, but couldn't find any. If you know where they are that would be helpful. Thank you.
I don't believe there are any specific forms. It's not the simple process to appeal an order that it was to get one in the first place.

It's about notifying the court that you are going to do it (and you have a limited period to appeal after the order was issued), and then writing an appellate brief to support your position that the order would need to be reversed. Unlike the initial hearing, it is no longer about the facts alone - the facts are already on record. Your brief needs to tell the court why you feel that the decision made based upon those facts do not support the issuance of the protection order. Unless you are legally-skilled, you should probably consider hiring an attorney for your appeal.

Also, if the protection order was a default order granted because you did not appear in court to defend yourself, you do not appeal the order. Rather, you can try to reverse the default judgment by completing a court form, where you explain to the judge why you did not appear in court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">