• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How can a judge refuse to enforce an out of state DV order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MPA2000

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? INdiana and California
Our son is now five years old. His mother left Indiana with her family after he was six months old and filed for custody in CAlifornia a week later. I wrote declarations to the court saying that it lacked jurisdiction but to no avail. The court kept issuing court hearings but I refused to respond, but eventually did on 2/9/2009 where Joint Custody was established and 14 days per month visits in Indiana. This was later modified by two subsequent orders to establish 50-50 and holidays.

Late last year I filed a DV against my ex for abusing me and our son, but the judge dismissed it. I filed later after another round of abuse. This time in Indiana, and the courts here ordered a stay away/no contact temp. order for me and our son for one year. That was because she didn't show in Indiana to dispute the charges. I initially tried register it the court in California, but the Commissioner refused to enforce it because he said it encroached on California's custody orders.

AS a result the judge forced me to keep the current visitations. I filed for a reconsideration and he said the same thing. My ex failed to show for the Indiana hearing to show cause as to why she should be held in contempt for subsequent violations, and held in contempt and a Writ of body attachment was ordered.

She also showed up 4 days before she was supposed to get our son and I told her he wasn't going any where until her scheduled day. Her attorney filed an Exparter and it was granted. I had to both return him to California and was placed on Supervised Visits in Indiana.

We were sent for a 730 Evaluation and I later hired an Attorney. At the 730 hearing, the Evaluator recommended I get primary physical custody with weekend visits by the mother. My attorney said that the commissioner still refused to acknowledge Indiana's jurisdiction in the matter and only lifted the Supervised visits but kept me from removing the child from California.

WE have an evidentiary hearing in the next couple of weeks. I am going to go see our child for several days, because I haven't seen him since January.

So questions:
1) Has there been a case of judges refusing to honor UCCJEA and the State's requirements for courts to enforce legitimate out of state Protective Orders?

2) The attorneys and the commissioner held private meetings so there is no record of what was said. My attorney just told me that the commissioner kept saying the same thing and then questioned why Indiana thought that they had jurisdiction?

3) What remedies can one take to address the court for failing to protect a victim of DV as required under Federal law and California statutes to give another state "Full Faith and Credit"?

Only answers to the questions would be appreciated. The background is only to give you an overview.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Don't start multiple threads. This is at least the second thread you have started on this question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How's that attorney search coming along? You're going to need one if you want to have any hope of clearing up the mess you created.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Our son is now five years old. His mother left Indiana with her family after he was six months old and filed for custody in CAlifornia a week later. I wrote declarations to the court saying that it lacked jurisdiction but to no avail. The court kept issuing court hearings but I refused to respond, but eventually did on 2/9/2009 where Joint Custody was established and 14 days per month visits in Indiana. This was later modified by two subsequent orders to establish 50-50 and holidays.

Late last year I filed a DV against my ex for abusing me and our son, but the judge dismissed it. I filed later after another round of abuse. This time in Indiana, and the courts here ordered a stay away/no contact temp. order for me and our son for one year. That was because she didn't show in Indiana to dispute the charges. I initially tried register it the court in California, but the Commissioner refused to enforce it because he said it encroached on California's custody orders.

AS a result the judge forced me to keep the current visitations. I filed for a reconsideration and he said the same thing. My ex failed to show for the Indiana hearing to show cause as to why she should be held in contempt for subsequent violations, and held in contempt and a Writ of body attachment was ordered.

She also showed up 4 days before she was supposed to get our son and I told her he wasn't going any where until her scheduled day. Her attorney filed an Exparter and it was granted. I had to both return him to California and was placed on Supervised Visits in Indiana.

We were sent for a 730 Evaluation and I later hired an Attorney. At the 730 hearing, the Evaluator recommended I get primary physical custody with weekend visits by the mother. My attorney said that the commissioner still refused to acknowledge Indiana's jurisdiction in the matter and only lifted the Supervised visits but kept me from removing the child from California.

WE have an evidentiary hearing in the next couple of weeks. I am going to go see our child for several days, because I haven't seen him since January.

So questions:
1) Has there been a case of judges refusing to honor UCCJEA and the State's requirements for courts to enforce legitimate out of state Protective Orders?

2) The attorneys and the commissioner held private meetings so there is no record of what was said. My attorney just told me that the commissioner kept saying the same thing and then questioned why Indiana thought that they had jurisdiction?

3) What remedies can one take to address the court for failing to protect a victim of DV as required under Federal law and California statutes to give another state "Full Faith and Credit"?

Only answers to the questions would be appreciated. The background is only to give you an overview.
OP - delete threads and no one here will help you. That just wastes out time.

MPA2000

OP - delete threads and no one here will help you. That just wastes out time.
I deleted the thread because of two obnoxious trolls. And like trolls do, they stalk you until they find you in another thread, where they can continue to be obnoxious and unhelpful.

I think that I have both some legitimate questions and conerns about what is going on with this case. Helpful people= Good. Obnoxious people= Bad.

Edit:
I just found the ignore feature. It works wonders. :)

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I deleted the thread because of two obnoxious trolls. And like trolls do, they stalk you until they find you in another thread, where they can continue to be obnoxious and unhelpful.

I think that I have both some legitimate questions and conerns about what is going on with this case. Helpful people= Good. Obnoxious people= Bad.
I am sure that your attorney can help you unravel your mess.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
So.... if they will follow you to another thread, what sense does it make to delete? I'm not gonna waste my time with you. Go pay a lawyer.

LdiJ

Edit:
I just found the ignore feature. It works wonders. :)
I gave you a very factual answer on one of your previous threads. If I am one of the "trolls" you are mentioning then I think that you are not viewing things realistically and will end up with more problems.

I will repeat my advice. Technically, you are the one who is violating the UCCJEA because you are filing cases in Indiana regarding your child when California has jurisdiction. I agree that California probably should not have had jurisdiction to start with, but its too late to change that now. California is refusing to allow you to visit with your child anywhere but California, because they do not trust you to stop filing and/or trying to enforce orders that you received in Indiana.

umkemesic

What. You can't just decide for yourself that the Court lacked Jurisdiction and ignore hearings. Under the UCCJEA the State were the Child lived 6 months or more is their "home State". You should have filed a motion to vacate - 4+ years ago. You messed up now, because regardless if they were right or not, the State that has filed the Custody order first retains jurisdiction.

You can't use Indiana no-contact/DV orders given ex-party as a way to "modify" your custody orders in CA without filing in their court.

I love it when people use the legal system as a weapon to deprive someone of their freedom - brings back memories.

Me thinks there were other issues besides here showing up early. NVM, you are a male. The Law hates males.

Good luck.

So questions:
Yes. Meade v. Meade, 812 F.2d 1473 (4th Cir. 1987)

Not sure if this is a question or not, sounds like a statement.

(1) Appeal to the State's Court of Appeals and/or;

(2) Federal District Court - Interstate/Federal Question/Statute all applies here. Federal Courts are less biased than States.

Although I told you that California retains jurisdiction because they were the first to issue custody orders, this does not apply to venue selection in Federal Courts. So you can file in the District of Indiana under General venue rules.

Please note, if you go the Federal Route you should not appeal the State proceedings, unless you want to add a few years to your wait. Federal Courts do not like pending State proceedings.

Last edited:

umkemesic

Why do you think the Federal courts would get involved in this matter?
For violating a Federal Statute.

Ordinarily Federal Courts do not get involved in Custody disputes and will dismiss for lack of Subject Matter Jurisdiction - unless the State is Violating the PKPA and if there are conflicting orders. Though we are not privy to what the actual orders say, and if there is an actual conflict, that would be up to the attorney to decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">