• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I go about filing harassment charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonder1975

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm the Plaintiff in a civil suit against a former ex. The case is moving up to state court. My ex is clearly becoming desparate and has been harassing me. Yesterday alone, he sent me 8 text messages, 2 voicemails, and one e-mail. I'm all for trying to settle the case out of court, but there is absolutley nothing contained in any of his communications regarding settling our case.

How do I file harassment charges and get an order to make him stop? What do I need to prove that harassment has taken place? :confused:

Some Random Guy

What does your lawyer say about this?

If you both have lawyers, then you can get a restraining order against him, depending on the content of the messages. If you don't have lawyers, then a no-contact order will eliminate any possibililty of settling this out of court.

Take printouts of the e-mails and recordings of the voicemails to the police and ask them the procedure for getting a restraining order.

casa

wonder1975 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I'm the Plaintiff in a civil suit against a former ex. The case is moving up to state court. My ex is clearly becoming desparate and has been harassing me. Yesterday alone, he sent me 8 text messages, 2 voicemails, and one e-mail. I'm all for trying to settle the case out of court, but there is absolutley nothing contained in any of his communications regarding settling our case.

How do I file harassment charges and get an order to make him stop? What do I need to prove that harassment has taken place? :confused:
Continue to let all calls go to voice mail/answering machine. Keep a log documenting dates/times of the calls, texts etc.

As the previous poster instructed, start by providing your attorney with copies of all the communication you have currently.

It certainly is possible to have a Restraining Order issued for harassment while you are going through a court case.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">