• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i go about filing a restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsJakChe

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I've been in a long relationship with the father of my 3yr old and baby on the way. During the last 4 yrs he's been physically and emotionally abusive towards me. He has hit me, pushed me around, thrown me down, once tried to push me out the car, cause damage to my house, rippped my phone outta the wall and took my phone so that I couldn't call anyone. There have been times where I called the police or had someone call the police to come to my house. I never had a police report done or filed a restraining order due to just being scared of what he'd do if I did. Towards the end of the relationship I finally called a women's shelter because I really feared for my life... now that the "relationship" has been over for a little over 5 months I feel a little more safe but I still find myself looking over my shoulder from time to time because I still harbor that fear of him.
My question is since I don't have the evidence (paper trail) documenting those events and its been months since I've had contact with him would I still be able to file a restraining order against him? I do have people to vouch for his abusive behavior towards me. I'm not worried about it affecting his relationship with his children because he never sees them.

Hot Topic

You were so terrified of the man that you had three children with him and another one is on the way. You had chance after chance to have something done and didn't.

If you hear from him again, I would definitely file a restraining order. IMMEDIATELY. Go to the courthouse and tell them what you need to do.

Banned_Princess

You were so terrified of the man that you had three children with him and another one is on the way. You had chance after chance to have something done and didn't.

If you hear from him again, I would definitely file a restraining order. IMMEDIATELY. Go to the courthouse and tell them what you need to do.
Lol, that is ALOT of kids out of the 4 year relationship. hehehe.

Other then that I agree. no restraning order, until he contacts you violently again.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I've been in a long relationship with the father of my 3yr old and baby on the way. During the last 4 yrs he's been physically and emotionally abusive towards me. He has hit me, pushed me around, thrown me down, once tried to push me out the car, cause damage to my house, rippped my phone outta the wall and took my phone so that I couldn't call anyone. There have been times where I called the police or had someone call the police to come to my house. I never had a police report done or filed a restraining order due to just being scared of what he'd do if I did. Towards the end of the relationship I finally called a women's shelter because I really feared for my life... now that the "relationship" has been over for a little over 5 months I feel a little more safe but I still find myself looking over my shoulder from time to time because I still harbor that fear of him.
My question is since I don't have the evidence (paper trail) documenting those events and its been months since I've had contact with him would I still be able to file a restraining order against him? I do have people to vouch for his abusive behavior towards me. I'm not worried about it affecting his relationship with his children because he never sees them.
Actually she has only has two children -- well one that is 3 and one that is in utero. It is too late for her to file a restrianing order as nothing has happened in over 5 months. Hence there is NO RECENT event. However, if he threatens her (and stating he will file for custody of the TWO CHILDREN is NOT a threat nor is stating he will sue for custody or "take the children" or something of that nature) with violence then she should file immediately.

MsJakChe

I never had 4 kids. I'm not sure where u got that from. And we lived together. It wasn't easy for me to leave him. I'd been with him for almost 8yrs he's the only one I have been with. I'm only 24. I had a hard childhood and he used that to manipulate and physically and mentally abuse me. I never said that I was with him for just those 4 yrs. I said things got bad in the last 4yrs.

Please before you try to advise me please at least learn to read. Thank you in advance.

To the last poster. Thank u for the info. I wish I would have had the strength and common sense to filr at the time. Now I have to wait for him to do somethin before I can. Although I just hope he's gone for good now.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I never had 4 kids. I'm not sure where u got that from. And we lived together. It wasn't easy for me to leave him. I'd been with him for almost 8yrs he's the only one I have been with. I'm only 24. I had a hard childhood and he used that to manipulate and physically and mentally abuse me. I never said that I was with him for just those 4 yrs. I said things got bad in the last 4yrs.

Please before you try to advise me please at least learn to read. Thank you in advance.

To the last poster. Thank u for the info. I wish I would have had the strength and common sense to filr at the time. Now I have to wait for him to do somethin before I can. Although I just hope he's gone for good now.
Seriously YOU have two (or will have two) children by this man. Wishing him gone for good may work for you but it is NOT right for the children. He has every right to participate in their lives. You need to deal with the fact that when you decided to have children with him you bound yourself to him for a lifetime.

MsJakChe

Seriously YOU have two (or will have two) children by this man. Wishing him gone for good may work for you but it is NOT right for the children. He has every right to participate in their lives. You need to deal with the fact that when you decided to have children with him you bound yourself to him for a lifetime.

I'm sure he has every right to b in their lives. But he's not in their lives. If he really wanted to be around for his kids he would be there when his family has our daughter or even better he would file for visitation. He's done nothing. I know that there will always be a "bond" since we did have kids. But there's no use in wanting him around when he doesn't want to be around for his children. So if he's gone let him be gone for good. Not only for my but for my kids sanity and safety.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">