• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I have someone committed in Houston, Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

d.hales-taylor

Texas.

I need to have my husband committed. He suffered a stroke 10 years ago and lost the use of his left side. I have been caring for him since then. He has become abusive, mainly verbally. He has threatened me. He says that he is going to take all our money. I had the police out twice yesterday and they were of no help.

Can he take all our belongings or is it a 50/50 split if we divorce. Wouldn't it make more since to have him committed. He is depressed. He screams constantly.

Please give me some advice.

Gail in Georgia

Why do you think your husband will be committed because he's mean to you and says he's going to take all your money?

Most people who have an accurate diagnosis of clinical depression are treated medically and remain in the community. They're not tossed into mental health institutions simply because they're verbally mean to others.

Have you discussed having your husband tested for depression by a physician?

Gail

mistoffolees

Absolutely. It doesn't make sense to be talking about having him committed unless there's clear evidence that he's a danger to himself or someone else.

OP can divorce him, get him in to see a doctor for a full exam, or just live with it, but I don't see anything that says that he's going to be committed.

d.hales-taylor

He also is clinically depressed. He is on medication. It does not help. I don't care about money, I just don't want to be killed.

d.hales-taylor

Wow, you are helpful. Just leave my home and my 6 children and go where???? I don't have any family or friends. You are a great source. Are you a male???

Antigone*

Wow, you are helpful. Just leave my home and my 6 children and go where???? I don't have any family or friends. You are a great source. Are you a male???
Look lady, you said you were afraid. YOU said the police were no help. YOU said you were in danger. If you have children then and you are in fear of your life ~ GET THE HECK OUT.

Go to a women's shelter, go somewhere, but don't stay and be a victim in your own home!!!

It is either that or you like being a victim. So have at it honey.:rolleyes:

mistoffolees

Actually, no. Antigone is not a male. Not that it matters.

The point is - what did the police do? If they did nothing, then there's no evidence that he harmed you in any way.

Without evidence, you're not going to be able to get him committed or (far more likely) get a restraining order against him.

So, if you don't have enough evidence to get a restraining order, then your only other options are to live with it or leave. If you're being abused, there are women's shelters in most major cities. Or find a friend who will let you stay there for a while. Or find a church that can provide help. Or any number of other options.

If you're truly in danger, there are a huge number of options for you. The problem is that none of them work with nothing more than "he's mean to me".

hehorne

Pay them no mind

Actually by law he can take 50/50 but what 50% he gets is determined by several factors. The abuse is the bigger issue. I found your post by googling how to have my 13 year old son committed but that's another issue....

I am more concerned on how Gail, mistoffoless and antigone have responded to you. Normally I would have just read their posts and shook my head and felt sorry for your situation and moved on.

It is easy for these "armchair quarterbacks" to say things like, "why don't you just leave? As if you haven't thought about that! If it was that simple, people would just leave and be done with it, but sometimes when you do that it triggers the other violent person to take it out on you either by beating you to a pulp or killing you.

Don't feel like anyone is listening to you d.hales.... I am...

All I can say is document, document, document. Do you have a video cam either alone or on your cell phone? This why he can't "talk" his way out of the ramifications of his actions. I would post my number on here and tell you to call me but of course those mentioned above would call .. ahaha...

My prayers are with you as well as myself. God already knows how to get you out of this situation, it's just a matter of following the right path.

God will protect you during this time, all it takes is faith...

your sister
Hope

Last edited by a moderator:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Now, to respond to Hehorne...

If the person is TRULY in fear for their own safety, then they should get out. There are TONS of resources out there.

What makes it worse is that this OP says she has children too. It's no longer about just her getting beaten or killed...it's about the kids. Why would you even THINK to suggest that she remain in an abusive relationship where there is true danger to her or her kids???

Antigone*

Now, to respond to Hehorne...

If the person is TRULY in fear for their own safety, then they should get out. There are TONS of resources out there.

What makes it worse is that this OP says she has children too. It's no longer about just her getting beaten or killed...it's about the kids. Why would you even THINK to suggest that she remain in an abusive relationship where there is true danger to her or her kids???
Actually by law he can take 50/50 but what 50% he gets is determined by several factors. The abuse is the bigger issue. I found your post by googling how to have my 13 year old son committed but that's another issue....

I am more concerned on how Gail, mistoffoless and antigone have responded to you. Normally I would have just read their posts and shook my head and felt sorry for your situation and moved on.

It is easy for these "armchair quarterbacks" to say things like, "why don't you just leave? As if you haven't thought about that! If it was that simple, people would just leave and be done with it, but sometimes when you do that it triggers the other violent person to take it out on you either by beating you to a pulp or killing you.

Don't feel like anyone is listening to you d.hales.... I am...

All I can say is document, document, document. Do you have a video cam either alone or on your cell phone? This why he can't "talk" his way out of the ramifications of his actions. I would post my number on here and tell you to call me but of course those mentioned above would call .. ahaha... email me at and I'll tell you what my situation is and maybe we can figure it out together.

My prayers are with you as well as myself. God already knows how to get you out of this situation, it's just a matter of following the right path.

God will protect you during this time, all it takes is faith...

your sister
Hope

This is a legal advice website. She got what she came for. Sorry she didn't like the answers but they are truthful, accurate and logical answers to her post.

This is not a moral-support, let-me-hold-your-hand website.

While I am a person of deep faith, I know that protection starts with the person. You need to remember Hope, GOD gave us free will. Bad things do happen ~ GOD does not stop them. He gives you the ability and strength to handle them when they do.

SO, I will say it again. If she feels she is in danger, if she feels her children are in danger; and this man won't leave. She needs to protect her family and the out.

Gail in Georgia

"I need to have my husband committed. He suffered a stroke 10 years ago and lost the use of his left side. I have been caring for him since then. He has become abusive, mainly verbally. He has threatened me. He says that he is going to take all our money. I had the police out twice yesterday and they were of no help.

Can he take all our belongings or is it a 50/50 split if we divorce. Wouldn't it make more since to have him committed. He is depressed. He screams constantly."

Your initial posting (here) indicates his abuse was "mainly verbal". Later you claim physical abuse.

You don't want to leave your home with your six children and it appears the police don't believe what you claim either.

Frankly, it sounds like you are tired of caring for him (perhaps understandable depending on the extent of his physical limitations after the stroke...although, you imply he is able to provide physical abuse) and would simply like him "put" somewhere so you no longer have to deal with him.

Folks aren't typically "locked away" from others simply because their families are tired of dealing with them. Even most admissions into psychiatric facilities are short term with the focus being on determining the appropriate medication that will allow the patient to return to their family. We've come a long way from chaining mentally ill patients down in basements and hiding them away from society because they're too much of a bother to deal with.

You do realize that hospitalizations/residential care facilities/nursing homes, etc. cost money, don't you?

Gail

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Ya know what? If you actually provided some more information, someone here MIGHT be able to help you! But if that's all the info you're going to provide? You need to speak with a lawyer. None of us are going to sit here and pull teeth to find out what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">