• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I stop an order of protection petition from being served?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jacquis59

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois - I want to cancel the court appearance petition from being served to him. If I can't do that can he just avoid being served and does the petition expire? If he is served and he goes to court but I don't is it just invalidated? I want to stop it from happening. Please tell me what steps I need to take to make that happen.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois - I want to cancel the court appearance petition from being served to him. If I can't do that can he just avoid being served and does the petition expire? If he is served and he goes to court but I don't is it just invalidated? I want to stop it from happening. Please tell me what steps I need to take to make that happen.

Why do you want to withdraw the petition?

Jacquis59

I didn't want to do it in the beginning. My parents pushed me into doing it so I did it. I really just want to stop it. If he is not served (if they can't find him) then does it become void after a certain amount of time? I want to know that a warrant for his arrest won't be put out. I also want to know if they do serve him and I don't show up in court if it will just be void.

Proserpina

I didn't want to do it in the beginning. My parents pushed me into doing it so I did it. I really just want to stop it. If he is not served (if they can't find him) then does it become void after a certain amount of time? I want to know that a warrant for his arrest won't be put out. I also want to know if they do serve him and I don't show up in court if it will just be void.

Jacqui, how old are you?

Jacquis59

I am not afraid of him. I can take care of myself. Right now I don't need advice because I'm making a decision. I want to know what I can do to stop this. If they can't find him will it be dropped or will they put out a warrant for his arrest? If they do serve him and I don't appear in court will it just be dropped?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What happened so that your parents thought an order of protection was necessary? I'm asking for a reason.

Just Blue

I am not afraid of him. I can take care of myself. Right now I don't need advice because I'm making a decision. I want to know what I can do to stop this. If they can't find him will it be dropped or will they put out a warrant for his arrest? If they do serve him and I don't appear in court will it just be dropped?
I was going to offer advice, but I see you don't want any.

CdwJava

If he fails to appear for a criminal case, or a warrant is issued for his arrest because of whatever crime he committed (I presume he attacked you), then he could be arrested. If you fail to appear at any restraining order court hearing and were under subpoena, you might be subject to criminal sanctions yourself. Might the restraining order be dropped, sure. But, if he committed a crime against you it may well come to pass that the court will issue such an order anyway. And, before you run back and tell the court that it was all a mistake you might want to consult an attorney because you might be confessing to a perjury or making a false police report if you suddenly decide to change your story.

And, do you have any idea how many victims of domestic violence say the same things that you have? Many ... some of which are now dead. I strongly recommend you speak with an advocate or counselor before you seek to remove the only thing that might protect you from further abuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">