• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do you modify or terminate a restraining order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rjroot

My boyfriend and I were involved in a shakey relationship for awhile. We both obtained restraining orders against one another and now after 3 years have decided to work things out. We both entered recovery programs and have a different outlook on life. We would like to be able to see each other again, however, there are still active restraining orders in place and we continue to get harrassed by the law. We want to take care of the restraining orders, but have no idea about where to begin. Please help!

I go to court tomorrow...

...to ask that a protection order in place aginst me be terminated. You don't say what state you're in, but here in Maine I simply wrote a letter to the court clerk where the order was issued asking how I go about terminating it. They were very helpful by the way.

I think you and your boyfriend should each write separate letters to the court, or if it's more convenient, just go there and ask what you need to do. If you send me your e-mail address I'll send you a copy of the letter I sent the court.-- [email protected] --

Here in Maine there are no permenate protective orders, in fact I think the maximum is two years. Was there a time set when the order was issued? You may want to check, it may have expired already.

charlie

B

blidiot

Sounds like you have both been violating the Orders?.....

First, there may be an expiration date. Check it, and if it has passed, there is no longer a valid Order.

Second, only the Court can modify or vacate an order, so both of you communicating has been a violation.

Third. each of you, separately, needs to apply to the Court to have their RO vacated (removed). The Court may vacate it on your motion, or may require a hearing.

Fourth, once BOTH your Orders have been vacated, you may resume contact with the other.

Fifth, Until the orders expire or are vacated by the Court, you may be arrested for violating them (depending on the state).

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">