• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to have a PPO terminated in Michigan?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Macpark

On July 23, 2010, this guy I dated briefly filed for a PPO against me and it was granted by a judge in a hearing. Most of the "evidence" this guy had on me was fabricated -- Internet things he wrote himself and said they were from me -- in order to get revenge on me.

The only really "damning" information was a recorded voice mail where I told this guy to LEAVE ME ALONE and to not come closer than 500 feet toward me. Unfortunately, I used an expletive in the message when I told him to leave me alone. AT NO POINT did I, or have I, every threatened him.

Anyway, my lawyer advised me to just accept the PPO, since the voice mail (which he had heard in private) didn't make me look good since I used a bad word.

Anyway, two days later, I saw this guy in a bar. I did not know he was there, otherwise I wouldn't have entered in the first place. I was there not only two minutes when HE APPROACHED ME, cell phone in hand, and threatened me that I would be arrested. I left immediately. My friend was there to witness this and is willing to testify to this.

Considering that this guy APPROACHED ME, threatened me (and later, while I was riding my bicycle, he drove past me, rolled down his car window, flipped me off, and held his cell phone and shouted he was calling the cops -- for what, I don't know -- unfortunately nobody witnessed that.

However, as I said, he approached me. Obviously since he got this PPO under the guise of being "afraid" of me, and here he is approaching me -- in reality he got the PPO so he could use it as a weapon to harass me legally.

How can I get this PPO terminated? He should NOT be approaching me, threatening me, or taunting me. I tried to file a "Motion to Modify or Terminate at PPO" but I was told by the court clerk that once a PPO is granted in a hearing, it cannot be terminated, unless I appeal, which takes 12-18 months (at which point the PPO will have expired).

Do I have any recourse? As I said, my friend witness this guy approaching and threatening me. Is there anything I can do?

I tried filing a PPO against him directly after the judge granted HIS PPO; however, that was not approved.

P.S. After the hearing, I fired my lawyer and demanded my money back, which he refunded in full.

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What does the PPO say about expiration? They usually have an expiration date.

In a case like this where you have a witness, you should be OK. Although he could call the police, if you and your witness say that you simply went into a bar without knowing he was there and he approached you, I can't imagine that you'd be punished in any way.

Just be careful to avoid his home and places he frequents if possible until the order expires.

It must have been some 'brief' dating experience. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">