• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to protect myself against a stalker?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

plsassist

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho

My ex-husband is stalking me. No matter where I move or work, he finds me. Our children and I are currently living in a Domestic Violence shelter to get away from him. He found out where I work and has been harassing me there non-stop. What options do I have to protect the children and I and stop him from doing this?

CdwJava

Have you reported this stalking to the police? Have you sought and obtained a restraining order?

If the answer to either of those is, "No," then why have you not done these things?

OHRoadwarrior

And what in the original post gave you any reason to make this assumption?
What in the original post makes you think she is any more correct then he is? Obviously the police feel he has some credibility. If someone took my kid, I would be all over it. What you seem to view as gospel, I view as one side of a two sided issue. I know, it must be true because you read it on the internet.

CdwJava

I do not see where the police have indicated he has any credibility - even on the other thread. Absent some court orders to the contrary, of mom has custody and she is not violating any existing visitation orders, she is apparently doing nothing wrong. And, if dad is putting her in fear for her safety by his actions, dad is committing a crime. This is why I am curious as to whether or not the OP has reported the stalking to the police or if she has obtained a restraining order. if she has not, then I might be more inclined to think that she is simply using fear as an excuse ... but, we really don't know, and apparently the police have only been involved as a result of dad's making a missing person report on the child ... this is also referred to as the poor man's private investigation service. A person reports another as a missing person in hopes that the police will cough up where they are or how to get a hold of them.

The OP really needs to go to court and get some things clarified, report the stalking to the police, and seek a restraining order if she telling the truth.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
LOTS of IFS -- what do the current court orders state regarding dad and his contact with the children? Visitation? Where are the children supposed to be going to school? What restraining orders are in place? When were they put in place?

commentator

If this lady is in a domestic violence shelter they should be able to offer her very good suggestions about how to deal with the stalker ex. They should also be able to get her in touch with legal aid that should be able to help her to get her life in better order.

If he is harassing her at the job she should talk frankly with her employer. There should, I agree, be a restraining order which prohibits him from approaching her work site as well as her residence. In some states if she is forced to leave her job due to domestic violence, she can probably be approved for unemployment insurance, I believe Idaho may be one who took on this fed req with the recent extensions.

The poor man's detective agency is one of the big reasons it's a good idea for the victim to have legal court orders about what she's doing, the custody arrangments and all the processes.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">