• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to vacate a PFA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kimberlyag

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pennsylvania

Oh God this is a long story. My boyfriend and I broke up a couple months ago. But were trying work things out. He moved out and in with some really bad people. Anyway, he had my phone I went to get it. And one of those people he lives with assaulted me from behind. He pulled me away from her, in that process she hit and cut my eye with the rings on her fingers. The police were called and they said and I quote "we don't have time for this kind of ****!" I went to the court house the next day and the judge advised me to get a PFA against them.
So I filed the PFA and it doesn't include the other people, just my ex. Now he didn't hit me, she did. Her and her mother drive by my house, sit outside my house. They spread rumors about me, and scare my kids. He found out about this harassment and wants to talk to me, and maybe we can work out our differences, maybe not. The fact is, that I did what the judge told me to do and all it did was make matters worse. He's not the one I had a problem with but because he pulled us apart and moved there in the first place he's somewhat responsible. I don't know. The PFA is for 3 years against the wrong person. I know now that I have to file assault charged, and hopefully some other kind of restraining order can be placed on the people who are harassing and have assaulted me.
What steps do I have to take to vacate the pfa against him? I don't have money for a lawyer so I'd have to the legal work myself.
In advance Thank you!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Where do I begin with the issues? First of all, you need to understand that you should have made sure when you filed the complaint and sat through two hearings (ex parte and then the one where the other person had to be there) that it was against the girl who hit you and not your boyfriend. Second.. well heck let us just start with the first issue.

Last edited:

kimberlyag

I'm sure if I had ever dealt with the legal system in my life other than an amicable non-contested divorce I'd have understood things better. What should I do?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'm sure if I had ever dealt with the legal system in my life other than an amicable non-contested divorce I'd have understood things better. What should I do?
Pleading ignorance is NOT going to get you anywhere. You could petition to have it dropped but be prepared for it to remain. Especially since it appears he has had contact with you which is a violation.

LdiJ

You had to fill out paperwork to initiate the PFA. Why did you put HIS name on the paperwork when you wanted the PFA against the person who assaulted you? Why didn't you put THAT person's name on the paperwork instead?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">