• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Husband and Daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rhudson247

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV
My husband and I were having an argument and my 19 year old daughter felt it to be her place to tell her step dad what she thought and he called her a name. She then slapped him across the face and he reacted by grabbing her and wrestling her to the floor and holding her down. She called the police and they both ended up getting arrested for domestic violence because they both put their hands on the other. My husband and daughter are not to be around each other or talk to each other until their hearing (which could be months). Is there a possiblity that they will both have to go back to jail? Neither on wants to press charges but that doesn't matter in our state.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WV
My husband and I were having an argument and my 19 year old daughter felt it to be her place to tell her step dad what she thought and he called her a name. She then slapped him across the face and he reacted by grabbing her and wrestling her to the floor and holding her down. She called the police and they both ended up getting arrested for domestic violence because they both put their hands on the other. My husband and daughter are not to be around each other or talk to each other until their hearing (which could be months). Is there a possiblity that they will both have to go back to jail? Neither on wants to press charges but that doesn't matter in our state.
Yes, it is possible. Yes, they BOTH committed DV upon the other.

Hot Topic

If your daughter is so hostile regarding her stepdad, she needs to make plans to move out. Arguments between you and he are your business, not hers.

I don't agree with what your husband did, but the problem was started by your daughter's butting in with both her big, fat mouth and her physical assault.

I would tell her to mind her own business and watch her mouth and fists if she wants to continue living under your roof. Stepdad is probably putting food on the table for all of you. If you aren't charging her rent, you should be. She sounds like a loser.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Personally, both step-dad and daughter are jerks. And both should suffer the consequences of their idiocy.

LdiJ

Personally, both step-dad and daughter are jerks. And both should suffer the consequences of their idiocy.
I agree with this, but I think that stepdad's behavior was a tad bit worse than the daughters.

She did butt in and should not have. (but might have felt compelled to defend her mother) He called her a bad word and should not have. It was not a proper reaction from a stepparent to a teenage child, even if the teenager was 19. She slapped him and she should not have. (but I have a feeling it was something worse than the b-word). He should have walked away at that point. Wrestling her down to the ground and holding her down was an over the top reaction to being slapped for calling someone a bad word. He was the "adult" in that scenario. He should have had more control than a 19 year old girl.

Nevertheless, they were both out of line and under the law they both deserved to be arrested.

However, I have to tell you that if MY husband had called my 19 year old daughter a bad word, and then wrestled her to the ground, I would be seriously considering divorce.

Antigone*

I agree with this, but I think that stepdad's behavior was a tad bit worse than the daughters.

She did butt in and should not have. (but might have felt compelled to defend her mother) He called her a bad word and should not have. It was not a proper reaction from a stepparent to a teenage child, even if the teenager was 19. She slapped him and she should not have. (but I have a feeling it was something worse than the b-word). He should have walked away at that point. Wrestling her down to the ground and holding her down was an over the top reaction to being slapped for calling someone a bad word. He was the "adult" in that scenario. He should have had more control than a 19 year old girl.

Nevertheless, they were both out of line and under the law they both deserved to be arrested.

However, I have to tell you that if MY husband had called my 19 year old daughter a bad word, and then wrestled her to the ground, I would be seriously considering divorce.
I wouldn't think twice. He'd be gone:cool:.

Hot Topic

The daughter slapped her stepfather across the face, and I seriously doubt it was to "defend" her mother since the post makes no reference to the stepfather attempting to harm (or actually harming) the mother. The daughter probably has had in it for the stepfather since he married her mother, and the argument was the perfect time to express her hostility.

Do something to the stepfather, but don't let the daughter off scott-free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">