• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am looking for info on seniors, what should i do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midnightstar13

Missouri.
If a senior citizen, calls the elderly abuse hot line, will someone just talk to you, or will they have to contact, others. And possibly cause more ado? I really need to just talk to someone.

sandyclaus

Missouri.
If a senior citizen, calls the elderly abuse hot line, will someone just talk to you, or will they have to contact, others. And possibly cause more ado? I really need to just talk to someone.
Presumably, if it is an abuse hotline, they should take all the pertinent information, along with starting an investigation into the abuse. They may need to contact additional people who may be in contact with the victim in order to corroborate your claims.

My question to you is - are you more afraid of having others find out that you ratted them out, or are you genuinely concerned for the welfare of the elderly person in question? Are you willing to allow the abuse to continue just so that your identity is not disclosed? Note than an anonymous claim won't necessarily be believed by your word alone, and WILL increase the necessity of having to contact others - friends and family members of the abuse victim - in order to corroborate the story.

single317dad

Here is specific information on the Missouri DHSS Abuse Hotline:

http://health.mo.gov/safety/abuse/

Here is a useful document from Missouri DSS regarding abuse and neglect.

http://dss.mo.gov/cd/pdf/guidelines_can_reports.pdf

When you "just talk to someone", keep in mind that you may be talking to a mandated reporter, which can include clergy, doctors, and lawyers, depending on the situation.

midnightstar13

The person is me, I am not being hit or abused, I think I do need advice from a professional, I just do not know what I should do, I am afraid anything, I do I will be sorry for later. I live in the country, my only close neighbor is my 30 year old son, (I have only one child, no brothers or sisters, to turn to.) I do not want to fight or argue with anyone. My health is really bad. I really don`t want to press charges or anything like that as there are children involved
I will try to give you as much information, and yet keep it brief, so you can better understand my problem. My son has for years, all at once, get mad at me and say mean things to me. In 2005, I had heart failure, he called 911 for me, I remember later, when he had a fit on me, he said he would never call 911 for me again. I would cry for a few days from the things he would say to me, and then forget about it, then it wouldn`t happen again, for several months. His wife left him, and he has a new live-in, that seems to follow lead with him. When they are like that. I can tell them I am sorry, (although I don`t know what I am sorry for). They just get madder and can`t reason with them. I would like to sell my house, be able to move away from them. but we share a well, driveway. I am on very small income. I am afraid he would really get nasty to me, if I sold it. Noone wants to live that close to him and have to share. I feel pretty much trapped here. I can`t move unless I sell the house as I am partially on SSI and mediciad, even though I get some social security and medicare, I don`t get near enough to survive on.
I think they are both very , very stressed, I don`t know that I have reason to feel uneasy living around them, or if I should just not worry about it. Doesn`t seem as if I have a choice. No one is here with me 24\7 to protect me so I have to be very careful. Do you think I should try to seek further advice?
Thank you in advance, for reading this

Proserpina

The person is me, I am not being hit or abused, I think I do need advice from a professional, I just do not know what I should do, I am afraid anything, I do I will be sorry for later. I live in the country, my only close neighbor is my 30 year old son, (I have only one child, no brothers or sisters, to turn to.) I do not want to fight or argue with anyone. My health is really bad. I really don`t want to press charges or anything like that as there are children involved
I will try to give you as much information, and yet keep it brief, so you can better understand my problem. My son has for years, all at once, get mad at me and say mean things to me. In 2005, I had heart failure, he called 911 for me, I remember later, when he had a fit on me, he said he would never call 911 for me again. I would cry for a few days from the things he would say to me, and then forget about it, then it wouldn`t happen again, for several months. His wife left him, and he has a new live-in, that seems to follow lead with him. When they are like that. I can tell them I am sorry, (although I don`t know what I am sorry for). They just get madder and can`t reason with them. I would like to sell my house, be able to move away from them. but we share a well, driveway. I am on very small income. I am afraid he would really get nasty to me, if I sold it. Noone wants to live that close to him and have to share. I feel pretty much trapped here. I can`t move unless I sell the house as I am partially on SSI and mediciad, even though I get some social security and medicare, I don`t get near enough to survive on.
I think they are both very , very stressed, I don`t know that I have reason to feel uneasy living around them, or if I should just not worry about it. Doesn`t seem as if I have a choice. No one is here with me 24\7 to protect me so I have to be very careful. Do you think I should try to seek further advice?
Thank you in advance, for reading this

To be perfectly honest, with no abuse or neglect taking place, there really isn't much you can do. As practical matter though, and I know how difficult this can be, perhaps you can work at not letting him upset you so much?

Because this isn't really a legal question, I'm going to try to suggest support groups (online can be just as effective as face-to-face) and see what options are available to you.

http://www.aarp.org/home-family/caregiving/care-for-yourself/

http://www.elderhelpers.org/index2.php

http://www.caremissouri.org/list11_mo_senior_centers.htm

Are there any Church groups you can attend? Local charities such as the Salvation Army may also be able to help you, too.

And there are lots of support and community groups online, too - just be careful.

single317dad

The person is me, I am not being hit or abused, I think I do need advice from a professional, I just do not know what I should do, I am afraid anything, I do I will be sorry for later. I live in the country, my only close neighbor is my 30 year old son, (I have only one child, no brothers or sisters, to turn to.)
What happened to the daughter from your other thread?

If you don't want anything done about it, you shouldn't call anyone. That would simply amount to stirring up a hornet's nest. Only take action if you would like to see action.

Last edited:

midnightstar13

What happened to the daughter from your other thread?

If you don't want anything done about it, you shouldn't call anyone. That would simply amount to stirring up a hornet's nest. Only take action if you would like to see action.

she was in my heart and still is my daughter, in my heart and mind, but she was legally my daughter in law, when she first left. we thought we maybe could get a place together, get us both away. she has remarried and moved farther away now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">