• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I don't know where to turn....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jessicacar24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I am trying to figure out what steps I need to take in order to help my older sister out. She just got divored in Feb. 2012 from an extremely abusive man physically as well as mentally. Well now that they have been divorced he will not leave her alone. They do share 2 children together and my sister has been trying to keep it civil for the kids. He just wont seem to do that. He calls my sister horrible names, threatens her life, threatens to beat up/kill her male friends, and this is on a daily basis. I have told her she needs to take back the control and seek legal help. The only problem with that is I don't think she knows where to start and neither do I. So I need to know where do I look to help my sister start on this road so to speak. Any help/advice would be awesome. Thank You.

Hot Topic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
I am trying to figure out what steps I need to take in order to help my older sister out. She just got divored in Feb. 2012 from an extremely abusive man physically as well as mentally. Well now that they have been divorced he will not leave her alone. They do share 2 children together and my sister has been trying to keep it civil for the kids. He just wont seem to do that. He calls my sister horrible names, threatens her life, threatens to beat up/kill her male friends, and this is on a daily basis. I have told her she needs to take back the control and seek legal help. The only problem with that is I don't think she knows where to start and neither do I. So I need to know where do I look to help my sister start on this road so to speak. Any help/advice would be awesome. Thank You.

I'm sure that someone here has the number of the national hotline for victims of domestic abuse. I would also check the telephone directory for local numbers.

What steps has your sister taken with the local police regarding the threats against her and her male friends?

jessicacar24

My sister as far as I know hasnt talked with the local police as of yet. In the past while they were still married he threatened to kill her before and I took her to the local police and they didn't do anything because there were no physical marks, even though she had the threats on her phone cause he threatens her via texting and the police didn't even look at her phone. So that is why I am trying to gather as much information for her to go about gettin full custody of their children as well as some kind of protective order against him, and for him to only have supervised visits with the kids because this week he is now telling them stuff and messing with their heads.. the whole situation is yucky to be nice about it.

st-kitts

My sister as far as I know hasnt talked with the local police as of yet. In the past while they were still married he threatened to kill her before and I took her to the local police and they didn't do anything because there were no physical marks, even though she had the threats on her phone cause he threatens her via texting and the police didn't even look at her phone. So that is why I am trying to gather as much information for her to go about gettin full custody of their children as well as some kind of protective order against him,
Sometimes people have a tendency to brush off threats to kill as "just talk." In abusive relationships however, threats to kill are a considered an very serious risk factor that indicates the women may be 15 times more likely to become a homicide victim than abused women who have not been threatened in this manner. In the world of domestic violence, threats to kill are very serious.

Whether or not his threats to kill are sufficient to get a restraining order however, is going to depend greatly on the local legal climate. Some courts operate with an abundance of caution and hand out restraining orders under a better safe than sorry mode while others require much higher levels of proof. Your sister could speak with her local domestic violence outreach program (free) to find out more about the local court climate and whether a restraining order might be possible and helpful in her situation.

If she decides that a restraining order might improve her personal safety, an advocate might accompany her to court and help her file for the order. She can visit http://www.aardvarc.org/dv/states/menu.shtml to find her nearest local resource. The state and national domestic violence hotline will be happy to speak with you as well.

Your sister is ultimately going to have to choose the course of action SHE believes is best for her, but you can certainly be educated on the subject to be in the best position to help IF she wants help.

and for him to only have supervised visits with the kids because this week he is now telling them stuff and messing with their heads.. the whole situation is yucky to be nice about it.
The restraining order may be a possibility for your sister, but based on what you have described, the likelihood of her ex getting supervised visits is between null and non-existent. Even in cases where there is documented proof of physical abuse toward a spouse, there is often unsupervised visitation for the perpetrator of that abuse with his(her) children. There would be a substantial burden of proof for your sister to prove that her ex is a danger to the children and get supervised visitation. Beyond that, emotional abuse by messing with their heads is not illegal even if it is very damaging from the psychology standpoint. The ex messing with the kids head is not going to be sufficient to get supervised visitation.

Domestic abuse victims often need significant help exiting abusive relationships. As her sister, you can be valuable support. Part of that support, hopefully, will be helping her trust herself and her own decision making. There are lots of books for people in abusive relationships or leaving those relationships. There are not a lot of books of guides on how to be the helper of someone in an abusive relationship. Susan Brewster has written one of the few books on the subject of how to support someone in an abusive relationship. You might find her stuff worth reading.

Good luck.

Last edited:

sandyclaus

I'm sure that someone here has the number of the national hotline for victims of domestic abuse. I would also check the telephone directory for local numbers.

What steps has your sister taken with the local police regarding the threats against her and her male friends?
National Domestic Violence Hotline: http://www.thehotline.org/

And I will echo what Blue Meanie said. Asking for help on her behalf is useless until she actually SEEKS it out. I've seen many victims of domestic abuse forced into seeking assistance by well-meaning friends and family, only to deny that the abuse occurred and let the abuser off without any consequences.

The best thing you can do for her is encourage her to reach out and seek help HERSELF.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">