• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I hope this is the right place

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PolyphonicDream

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

I am currently living with my grandparents (20 y.o) and its a hostile environment and I am wanting to move the heck out. The only catch is this. I would lose my dog. They didn't buy the dog, and have paid NOTHING for her, its been all on me. They verbally said the dog was mine, and when I leave I plan on taking her with me. But they could end up being vindictive. What are my rights?

justalayman

who is "us"?

Unless "us" is just "you", I think you need to consider which is more important to you: moving out or being able to play with the dog.

the best shot would be to move, leave the dog there under protest and sue them after you leave if a Louisiana small claims court can order equitable relief.

Hot Topic

Seems to me that you should be grateful to your grandparents for providing a roof over your head. Is the "hostile" environment the result of them expecting you to following their rules while you live under their roof?

You say that your aunt gave the dog to "us," not you. You didn't pay for the animal any more than your grandparents did. Do you have proof they gave you the dog?

With what would you fight your grandparents in court if it came to that? Would you ask your aunt for the money?

Your thread has NOTHING to do with domestic abuse or violence. What's wrong with you?

Last edited:

PolyphonicDream

Seems to me that you should be grateful to your grandparents for providing a roof over your head. Is the "hostile" environment the result of them expecting you to following their rules while you live under their roof?

You say that your aunt gave the dog to "us," not you. You didn't pay for the animal any more than your grandparents did. Do you have proof they gave you the dog?

With what would you fight your grandparents in court if it came to that? Would you ask your aunt for the money?

Your thread has NOTHING to do with domestic abuse or violence. What's wrong with you?

Well thanks for the unprofessional response.

This IS an issue of domestic violence. My grandfather has beat my grandmother for the entire time I have lived here, and has put his hands on me. The cops have been called out here so many times its not funny, and as recently as last week. He is an abusive old man, and if I had another place to go tonight I would. I lived here since I was 16, I am 20 now. I wont be hear much longer, but the dog was given to ME by my grandparents, there was no written contract they didnt buy the dog nor did I buy it from them. And thanks for assuming that my grandparents are the innocent party, and that im some unruly kid, because im not.

Isis1

Well thanks for the unprofessional response.

This IS an issue of domestic violence. My grandfather has beat my grandmother for the entire time I have lived here, and has put his hands on me. The cops have been called out here so many times its not funny, and as recently as last week. He is an abusive old man, and if I had another place to go tonight I would. I lived here since I was 16, I am 20 now. I wont be hear much longer, but the dog was given to ME by my grandparents, there was no written contract they didnt buy the dog nor did I buy it from them. And thanks for assuming that my grandparents are the innocent party, and that im some unruly kid, because im not.
how were any of us supposed to KNOW that if it was not included in your first post? :rolleyes:

you are willingly living in an abusive enviorment. you are over the age of 18. you can leave. when i'm in an abusive relationship, i leave. i left my cat behind. shoot. my life is more important. so is my dignity.

is your grandmother a senior citizen? report it to the senior abuse hotline.

justalayman

this started out with a simple disagreement about ownership of the dog and then you come back and rail on a poster because, unbeknown to anybody that read your posts, your g-pa beats your g-ma and apparently even you and somehow we were supposed to know.

way to lose out on help around here.

sounds like it's time for you to grow up and get out if you do not like it there. Then it is your choice to stay there and don't try the I don't have anyplace to go. If you don't have any place to go, why would you even want to take the dog with you? A dog is an unnecessary burden on somebody that is living in their car or on other people's couches.

Sounds like you need to worry about a lot of other things rather than who owns the dog. I suggest you do something to assist your g-ma rather than simply abandon her.

Last edited:

Hot Topic

You plan to take the dog with you when you leave, but you also mention that your grandparents can be "vindictive." Are we to understand that your grandmother, who you say has been abused by your grandfather for at least four years, is also the person you refer to as vindictive?

You also "thank" me for assuming your grandparents are the innocent parties in the dog dispute. Either your grandmother is the victim of your grandfather's abuse or she is conspiring with him to keep you from keeping the dog.

I've heard it said on television that if you always tell the truth, then you don't have to remember what you did say.

PolyphonicDream

When you have been abused for 50 years of your marriage and your old world, you begin to sympathize with the abuser. I told her on many occasions we could just leave, and she says she worries about him and shes already left him a few times in the marriage and hed follow her to wherever she would go and just sit outside the house for hours watching her. So she sees no point, and she constantly defends him so if its called abandoning her, then yes I am doing that. She has no desire to leave, shes had plenty of opportunity. And yes she can be vindictive when I dont agree with him or how they view things. And honestly why the hell am I defending myself to any of you?

Artemis_ofthe_Hunt

When you have been abused for 50 years of your marriage and your old world, you begin to sympathize with the abuser. I told her on many occasions we could just leave, and she says she worries about him and shes already left him a few times in the marriage and hed follow her to wherever she would go and just sit outside the house for hours watching her. So she sees no point, and she constantly defends him so if its called abandoning her, then yes I am doing that. She has no desire to leave, shes had plenty of opportunity. And yes she can be vindictive when I dont agree with him or how they view things. And honestly why the hell am I defending myself to any of you?
You asked for help. You didn't mention anything about spousal abuse (which you aren't a party to, but could still report), you claim that your grandfather has put hands on you, but yet you stay. You're not required to defend your actions to anyone here, but you are asking for help in a public forum. We (collectively) have to ask questions in order to give correct answers. Your initial post about not wanting to leave the dog has NOTHING to do with domestic violence OR abuse. If you want to know what you can do about your grandmother being abused.... call the Senior Abuse line. Get out yourself, you're old enough. :rolleyes:

eerelations

I don't understand - why don't you just take your dog with you when you leave...and see what happens? There's always a possibility your grandparents won't do anything about it, or that what they do isn't effective.

Hot Topic

My head is beginning to spin from the different stories we're getting. First he wants to move out because he's in a hostile environment. He wants to take the dog but he thinks his grandparents might be vindictive and refuse to let him.

Then he gets angry because he hasn't told any of us that his grandfather is abusive and has hit him and his grandmother. The police have been to their home again and again.

Then the grandmother is - and I think it's obvious to most people since it has gone on for 50 years - a willing target of the grandfather's abuse.

Strange that someone put the OP in the care of such profoundly disturbed people. If he were sincere about leaving, he would have left by now. No dog would have held him back.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">