• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I lost my job because of domestic issue raised with false information at work place.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vin_gs

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Chesapeake Virginia

lost Job, I lost rent as well as most important I lost my reputation as they took action against me but there is no action against her as she is a employee and I am a contractor. Complete Story I was sharing apartment with Miss XYZ Already paid rent for June month by check, But I was restricted to use light / Gas / electricity / Water / Washing machine and even I cant use the washroom after 10.00 PM to Morning 7.00 PM because she is having some mental issues which is not allowing her to sleep As per her story and small noise can wake up her, as well as I was dependent on her for ride to office which I don't want as she make me feel it again and again. So I decided to move to location near to office and gave her notice, but she was not happy about that and asking me to pay the rent for 1 month extra. I told her I am giving notice for around 3 week There was no agreement still I gave notice and I cant pay 1 month extra that make her very angry and even she told to me that she will not give me ride any more and even indicated that she will make me move out before month end, I have chat history that indicates that 14th June. She is always run's behind money and look like! as I am moving out and she is not getting any one to rent her place she is really mad on me. I thought it is done but after couple of days when I tried to talk to her to resolve the issues she pushed me away and asked me to leave the house. I have to call the cops, when cops came she said I hurt her and showed some mark on her hand. I also explained my side of story. Cops note down the complains from both of us and provided us the complaint number. Next day she brought this issue to work place, she spread false news that she having protection order against me Later I confirmed from magistrate office that there is no such protection order, she is employee and working for that company for couple of years. I am contractor and recently joined there. She talked to her manager and her manager eventually talked to my manager. My manager discussed this issue with me and after listening my side of story she showed lot of support to me and even advice me to talk to couple of people who have idea of such situation as well as we went to HR to talk about this issue. HR told it is domestic issue and we can't do any thing about it. Next day I decided I take work form home. Surprisingly that evening I received call from my employer that my project is terminated by client where I am a contractor. I tried to contact the manager that supported me but now she is not responding any more. No one is ready to give any reason in writing, verbally they are saying its happened because this matter become out of control and as you are contractor they can terminate your project. I want to know what is my legal option. I lost Job, I lost rent as well as I lost my reputation as they took action against me but there is no action against her as she is a employee and I am a contractor. Please advice. I am planning to send email with details about complete incidence with available evidence to client manager and HR. As well as planning to file civil case against Miss XYZ as she brought this issue in office and that eventually cost me my job and negative image please suggest.

Please also let me know what will be the consequences in return as I don't want to enter in this situation but its hurting my self respect so please help. Thanks

FlyingRon

As for your job, they don't even need a reason to fire you in Virginia. Apply for unemployment and look for another job.

As for a civil action, I'm not going to unravel your story (dude, paragraphs are your friend). You can talk to a lawyer, but frankly, I suspect that you're chances of prevailing in any meaningful way is slim. You don't have any real proof to connect her comments and you losing your job.

vin_gs

As for your job, they don't even need a reason to fire you in Virginia. Apply for unemployment and look for another job.

As for a civil action, I'm not going to unravel your story (dude, paragraphs are your friend). You can talk to a lawyer, but frankly, I suspect that you're chances of prevailing in any meaningful way is slim. You don't have any real proof to connect her comments and you losing your job.

Thanks a lot for your response. I agree that it is very tough to relate all these incidence. But what we suppose to do in such situation where some one take advantage of his / her position. This is not the first time she did that. Earlier also she filed wrong case against one guy and that guy need to leave the city. If I don't take any action I will feel bad about it forever and people like her will continuing harming other people. I understand emotions have nothing to do with law but if you are at my place what you suppose to do ?

FlyingRon

What she does to other people is not the basis for any action you can bring. It only matters what damage you can prove she caused you.

Eekamouse

Thanks a lot for your response. I agree that it is very tough to relate all these incidence. But what we suppose to do in such situation where some one take advantage of his / her position. This is not the first time she did that. Earlier also she filed wrong case against one guy and that guy need to leave the city. If I don't take any action I will feel bad about it forever and people like her will continuing harming other people. I understand emotions have nothing to do with law but if you are at my place what you suppose to do ?
Sounds like you knew she had issues before you even moved in with her so you have only yourself to blame for your predicament. You should have known there were going to be problems with this person and should not have moved in with her. By the way, why were you depending on her for a ride into work anyway?

vin_gs

Sounds like you knew she had issues before you even moved in with her so you have only yourself to blame for your predicament. You should have known there were going to be problems with this person and should not have moved in with her. By the way, why were you depending on her for a ride into work anyway?
I got these information after I moved at her place. Actually this Job was in new city and my family lived at different place, so I don't had a car that's why I have to dependent on some one. I was in the process of buying a car but in mean time all these happened.

commentator

Finding a place to live and transportation to work are your own responsibilities. They are NOT something the employer or the contractor supervisor has to get involved with. You were legally fired. End of story. File for unemployment benefits and move on.

vin_gs

What she does to other people is not the basis for any action you can bring. It only matters what damage you can prove she caused you.
That's true but she caused me financial as well as emotion problems. I lost Job, I lost rent, as well as all these things caused lot of mental trouble. As a contractor I lost job irrespective of we both are part of this issue and no one is proved guilty, that also caused my reputation goes bad as I lost job and people might thing I did some thing wrong. You might be right that its very difficult to prove all these thing but still all these things are true.

Eekamouse

I got these information after I moved at her place. Actually this Job was in new city and my family lived at different place, so I don't had a car that's why I have to dependent on some one. I was in the process of buying a car but in mean time all these happened.
This is all he said, she said. I'm sure the woman you were living with and having her drive you to work has a completely different interpretation of what occurred. I think it's interesting that you thought it would be okay to give her a 3 week notice to move out on her yet still expect her to drive you to work.

vin_gs

This is all he said, she said. I'm sure the woman you were living with and having her drive you to work has a completely different interpretation of what occurred. I think it's interesting that you thought it would be okay to give her a 3 week notice to move out on her yet still expect her to drive you to work.
Thanks for your comments and bringing out very important points. I am not expecting her to drive to work after that, I am contractor and we both know that as an contractor any time I have to move in 2-3 week notice. There is no way I can give 1 month notice and that's what we agreed on. When I gave notice the reaction shouldn't be that instance that's what my point was. Even for instance consider that its my mistake and not gave 1 month notice then in your opinion it is fine to push me out from the apartment same month for which I paid rent as well as bring this issue in office with the intention that I will loose job (Discuss this issue directly with Managers whom she is working for couple of years).

Some additional point I want to mention here:
1. I am paying higher rent around 20% more then her (She had Master Bedroom and I live in smaller room) , and I moved to her apartment with the assurance that I will get the ride to office.
2. Every other day I need to catch cab or ask some other friend to take a ride, because of timing (She reached office late and leave early) and as a new contractor it is not possible for me. This is also one of the reason I want to move out, and live near by place to office.

If I am at her position I am sure that I will not try to push my renter out for this issue immediately and I will not become so hostile to harm her in all possible way, even make her loose her job. Its only my opinion.

vin_gs

Finding a place to live and transportation to work are your own responsibilities. They are NOT something the employer or the contractor supervisor has to get involved with. You were legally fired. End of story. File for unemployment benefits and move on.
Thanks for your comment. I agree it is not there responsibility and I was not expected that, in my story where you felt that I am asking help regarding this from my employer or contractor supervisor ?

Only the point I was trying to make is If I gave notice to vacate the house and If my owner is not agree with that then is it fine for her to Push me out from the apartment and even when I moved out that won't satisfied her , she further want to harm me and bring this issue to office and make sure I will loose my job. I want advice in those situation should we accept all these thing and move on as you suggested or we should take some action ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">