• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice. Access to my home, belongings, and dog are being withheld by my ex.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jbarnes31

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? RI.

My ex girlfriend has been withholding access to my home, where we live together, for 2 days now. I have had no access to my belongings or my dog. She's already filed false allegations of domestic simple assault and the charges were dismissed in court at the beginning of this month. She now is attempting to get a restraining order to keep me off the premises. There is no lease and we moved in together back in September. All I want is access to remove my things. Are there specific steps that should be taken to make sure all of this is monitored?

Thank you in advance. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

colegalhelper

Civil Assist

I concur with Zigner. Contact the law enforcement agency where the house is located and ask for a "civil assist." Police will meet you there and they will give you a few minutes to collect any undisputed personal belongings from the home. This will protect you against further allegations and allow you to get some of your belongings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">