• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice on taking my father to court.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KidPower

Firstly, I live in the UK, so this is obviously only relevant to UK law.

Two years ago, the day before my birthday, my dad threw boiling hot liquid over me and repeatedly beat me. When he was done he told me to "clear up my mess" and so I ran away.
I had to make a choice in the following weeks as to whether I would finish my education at my dad's, or completely start over at my mum's, and I chose to stay with my dad for the next two years soley to finish my education.

Now that I have completed my education, I wish to take my dad to court and press charges against him. I repeatedly suffer from suicidal thoughts, panic attacks, anxiety, and depression caused by his treatment of me.

I just don't know about the feasability of taking legal action against him. I was treated badly when I lived with him (no food, heating, etc.) and I want justice and compensation, but I really don't have any understanding of law, or the process that I should go through to see him in court -especially as I am under 18 and have no money at all.

What I want:
-Compensation. So that I can pay for psychological treatment (counselling, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, etc.)
-Further compensation to cover law costs.
-A restraining order.
-To relinqush him as my father.

Can anyone give me some advice as to how I would go through the legal process? -how much I can claim, what I can potentially claim, what I can expect to see as a result of this case, and who I should talk to in order to get things going.

Also, how does my position as an under-18 affect my ability to take him to court?

Many Thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">