• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advise of filing a restraining order on my father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beautiful01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My father has a past of obuse. He abused my mother but didn't abuse me, Only because I never gave him a reason. I am pregnant I am a teen. Do you think I should file a restraining order just because he may hurt me bad , could even kill me , or hurt my baby. He has threatened to hurt me bad before if something like this happened.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My father has a past of obuse. He abused my mother but didn't abuse me, Only because I never gave him a reason. I am pregnant I am a teen. Do you think I should file a restraining order just because he may hurt me bad , could even kill me , or hurt my baby. He has threatened to hurt me bad before if something like this happened.
A restraining order is not appropriate at this time. Have you discussed this problem with your mother?

justalayman

A court cannot issue a restraining order without a legal basis for doing so. Especially given your statement your father has never abused you, it would mean there is no reason to believe he would abuse you now. If I understand your statement of your father threatening to hurt you if something like this happened, that would not be enough to believe there is a valid threat to you. It would likely be seen as hyperbole.

Beautiful01

A restraining order is not appropriate at this time. Have you discussed this problem with your mother?
Yes I have but my mother said whatever I decide to do she will be on my side because she knows my father is a bit dangerous. I feel like my life is in danger if he finds out. She could really hurt me. He doesn't hit me but if he feels the need to do it he will.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Yes I have but my mother said whatever I decide to do she will be on my side because she knows my father is a bit dangerous. I feel like my life is in danger if he finds out. She could really hurt me. He doesn't hit me but if he feels the need to do it he will.
How do you know he will hit you if he hasn't?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">