• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need some advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stout

Have you ever been in the wrong place at the wrong time??? I have, I'm not a bad person it just looks that way. My name is Thomas and I live in Alaska. Just over three years ago I was arrested for DV Assault but charged with assault use reckless force or violence, misdemeanor. The police have it down as DV assault. I went and tried to join the Marine Corp and they told me no because of what the police has my charge down as. They had no problem with what the court had. I completed everything the court told me to do and im now off probation. I haven't got into any trouble for over 3 years. It is a dream of mine to join the Marines and I'll do anything and pay any cost to get a shot at joining. My problem is I need to either get rid of the words DV on the police record or have it reworded to something other then DV. I would like to know all my options even if the odds are against me. I have been working on joining the Corp for over 2 years now. I'm not giving up. Someone please help.

Hot Topic

The wrong place at the wrong time? You're not a bad person, yet you were found guilty of assault using reckless force or violence. You don't claim that you weren't guilty, you just find the use of "dv assault" as inconvenient to your desire to be a Marine.

The police recorded what they perceived the situation to be. The court worded the charge a different way.

There's no reason why adjustments should be made to accommodate your "dream." If it was so important for you to be a Marine, you should have handled yourself as if you were worthy of them.

Stout

You would have to know the person I was dealing with at the time. She has a big anger problem and the day that it all happened I was the only person that got hit. I got hit and kicked. She was the one yelling and I was the one arrested and charged. In Alaska, if police respond to a DV case one of the people involved is going to go to jail and 99% of the time it is the one that can do the most phisical damage (MALE)... Not just something I pulled out of my ass, its what my instructer said from the DV intervention class I had to attend. I plead no contest because my "great" attorney told me to... Both my parents live out of state and didn't have anyone to talk to about my choices. So I took the attorneys advice and got screwed. I was 19 and didn't even have an education. After the incedent I went back to school and got my high school diploma and the started college. I know a lot more the I used to and if I could go back and fight in court about this case I would but I dont think they will reopen my case... All I need is for the police to change the wording or charge.

Proserpina

You would have to know the person I was dealing with at the time. She has a big anger problem and the day that it all happened I was the only person that got hit. I got hit and kicked. She was the one yelling and I was the one arrested and charged. In Alaska, if police respond to a DV case one of the people involved is going to go to jail and 99% of the time it is the one that can do the most phisical damage (MALE)... Not just something I pulled out of my ass, its what my instructer said from the DV intervention class I had to attend. I plead no contest because my "great" attorney told me to... Both my parents live out of state and didn't have anyone to talk to about my choices. So I took the attorneys advice and got screwed. I was 19 and didn't even have an education. After the incedent I went back to school and got my high school diploma and the started college. I know a lot more the I used to and if I could go back and fight in court about this case I would but I dont think they will reopen my case... All I need is for the police to change the wording or charge.
Speak with an attorney.

I think your chances are slim to none, and slim just left the building.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">