• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Immagration/ abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stephanie1975

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vancouver
I have a friend that has moved to the us and Got married. he has been here only 8 months. His wife abuses, mistreats and threatens to send him back to his country if he don't do certain things. I am just wondering who he talks to and what he can do to continue to stay here and get out of his situation, please any information would be greatly appriciated.. thank you

Last edited:

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Vancouver
I have a friend that has moved to the us and Got married. he has been here only 8 months. His wife abuses, mistreats and threatens to send him back to his country if he don't do certain things. I am just wondering who he talks to and what he can do to continue to stay here and get out of his situation, please any information would be greatly appriciated.. thank you
Have him post the details here. Getting information third hand is usually not the best way to get advice.

Although I have to wonder if this was simply a marriage for a green card.

Hot Topic

The wording makes this sound like a marriage of convenience for the "friend," otherwise, the "friend" should have taken action himself, instead of transmitting a sob story to the OP.

Proserpina

Last I checked Vancouver was not part of the US;)

Vancouver, WA dear ;)

(Not that I think OP is situated there - but his friend is in the US apparently)

OP needs to remind his/her friend that if he got married and his wife signed an affidavit of support (form I-864), his wife may well be liable to support him financially to the tune of 125% of the Federal Poverty Level.

It may be a handy bargaining chip.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">