• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Stalking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dharma

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

Thanks ahead of time for any info and help. I really appreciate your generosity. Oh and let me know if I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry:eek: if that's the case. I'm new here.

I'm curious about whether I can take any legal action against a person who has persistently tried to contact me through social media, despite the fact that I have tried to block them several times. It's not an extreme case, but I do feel harassed and want this person to stop trying to contact me indefinitely.

My creepy ex- step father tried to friend me on facebook like, 7 years ago and I blocked him. He tried twice more during a two year period following that and I shut down that account (time periods are approximate). Just the other day, he contacted my boyfriend on flickr and asked my boyfriend to tell me to contact him. I cut him out of my life about 8 or 9 years ago, telling him I no longer want him in my life at all. Since then, throughout the past eight years that he's strangely tried to contact me, I have not directly said "leave me alone" or "**** off," but my plan is to go ahead and do that one last time. First, I would like to find out if I can back myself with the ability to take legal action if he does contact me again. There's more to the story concerning why I cut him out of my life -and that might affect things- but that's probably worth a whole other thread. I just want to find out if there's a way to completely protect myself since he hasn't gotten the message after all these years. But that's all that's happened since I've cut him out of my life. Creepy stalking, but no conversations. I refused to engage. Also, he lives in the Philippines. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks again.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello,

Thanks ahead of time for any info and help. I really appreciate your generosity. Oh and let me know if I posted this in the wrong section. Sorry:eek: if that's the case. I'm new here.

I'm curious about whether I can take any legal action against a person who has persistently tried to contact me through social media, despite the fact that I have tried to block them several times. It's not an extreme case, but I do feel harassed and want this person to stop trying to contact me indefinitely.

My creepy ex- step father tried to friend me on facebook like, 7 years ago and I blocked him. He tried twice more during a two year period following that and I shut down that account (time periods are approximate). Just the other day, he contacted my boyfriend on flickr and asked my boyfriend to tell me to contact him. I cut him out of my life about 8 or 9 years ago, telling him I no longer want him in my life at all. Since then, throughout the past eight years that he's strangely tried to contact me, I have not directly said "leave me alone" or "**** off," but my plan is to go ahead and do that one last time. First, I would like to find out if I can back myself with the ability to take legal action if he does contact me again. There's more to the story concerning why I cut him out of my life -and that might affect things- but that's probably worth a whole other thread. I just want to find out if there's a way to completely protect myself since he hasn't gotten the message after all these years. But that's all that's happened since I've cut him out of my life. Creepy stalking, but no conversations. I refused to engage. Also, he lives in the Philippines. Let me know what I can do.

Thanks again.
If I understand correctly, he's tried to make contact 4 times in 9 years? And you haven't told him directly "stop contacting me'? If that's correct, that hardly seems to be 'stalking." I suggest that when he tries again in a few years, tell him to stop.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">