• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kickin out an alcoholic girlfriend in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

strummer

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California.
My girlfriend moved into my house 11 months ago, her alcoholism is getting out of control and I've asked her to move out. She says she won't leave, and if she does she'll take everything. She has not had a job since she moved in, everything in the house was already mine or I have bought since shes moved in. Does she have any rights in this case to take anything, such as some furniture we picked but of course I bought, other then what she brought when she moved in, i.e. her clothes, dresser, and a sofa????
HELP!!!!
ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Isis1

she's been living there for 11 months. which means she's a tenant. which means you cannot kick her out without a legal eviction.

she cannot take things she did not purchase or were not gifted to her. do you have receipts? proof of the items you purchased?

strummer

everything was bought on my credit or debit card. the card is in my name only. what would keep her from saying everything was a 'gift'?
thanks sooo much for helpin me.

CdwJava

Is she a tenant if she isn't paying rent?
If she is contributing anything of value to the household, she can be considered a tenant. Cleaning, preparing food, buying goods for the house or contributing funds toward the home life, then she can be a tenant. if she were living out of a suitcase or from the couch, probably not. And, after 11 months, no court is likely to see her as a guest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">